"Shoebox" OTF

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jerryk25

Re: "Shoebox" OTF

Post by jerryk25 »

The smaller knife may or may not have been an Edge Co kit from 1980's Rick Hamilton / Brattleboro Vermont.
In the bottom bolster there is a bottom plate.

You can see it in this view of the knife.

The knife was at one time a kit of parts, without the blade installed. allowing importation.
Someone bought this knife, inserted the blade into the bottom, and pressed the cover plate into place.
I have one in Blue.
They sometimes had white text printed on the front cover scale. "Police" or "Fire" or " U.S.A.F" . . .or the like. . .

The original design was intended to be a kit . . . .But now the "Era of kits" is over, or not as necessary.
This knife may be newer than 1985, but there is no reason to change the design . . .
Attachments
OTF__445c__side.jpg
OTF__445c__side.jpg (254.13 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I have a couple lightings that are hands down better than the tomb raider. One is one JerrBear gave me and the other is his memorial knife which I'll never part with.
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

All were junk. Now worth hundreds of dollars....lol

Inflation, you know.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Terry was correct about BQ and the dates. They sold for $10 at the end and came in 6 colors. Terry I did not know Cam sold the business as I use to talk to him years ago. They moved too?
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

IMG_2278 (1).JPG
IMG_2278 (1).JPG (45.79 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
These were my friends...Old picture
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

I still have both of mine, I added the grippy tape to the top one because the plastic insert started to crack.

The silver one was bought sometime in early 2000's for about $20 with the ring ( I had to install it).
It's marked "Solingen Germany" and the frame is a satin finished milled aluminum. I have no idea where it was actually made, but I doubt it was Germany.

The black one was bought in 2010 and the handle is cast zinc alloy with no markings.

button_man

Post by button_man »

I had no idea that this thread was going to generate this much response! Thanks to everyone for the information and the great photos!

Bill, I realize that you're a busy guy.... whenever you have a chance to look up that company, I will be grateful to learn who it is.

jerry ~ So you think the story about bringing back the small OTF from Italy is bunk? It would not have been for sale in Italy?
....only available as a kit and sold in the USA?

I really appreciate all the replies on the 'Tomb Raider' knife.... I know it's pretty low in the hierarchy of automatics;
but apparently a lot of us bought them back when, and I guess there's some degree of nostalgia involved....

TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:47 pm One company makes the Italian OTFs. I would have to look it up, and I have no time to do so today. Maybe Monday.
I have no clue who makes the Asian OTFs.
BILL WERE YOU THINKING OF SPARDON ???
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Yes, Spadon makes the Italian OTFs.
Thank you.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

I did NOT dismiss anything as "bunk" . . .I try to be more scientific, and empirical.
I stand by "probability and statistics."
Nothing is Absolute.

how it got to America, , ,I have no idea.
I'm just sayin. . . .it was made as a "kit" for sales in America,. . .America required Kits. . .
A. . . I'm inclined to think that probability would show the majority of kits came to the USA
as they were most likely a sales order.
B. . . the later in time, farther away from 1986 we get, probability gets greater the knife
that. . . it was not "necessarily" shipped for "USA sales". . . .production overruns could ship elsewhere.
So the story COULD be true. . .