Today's haul from the flea

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
button_man

Re: Today's haul from the flea

Post by button_man »

Fishtail ~ It makes sense now. Two different companies.... got it. But where did Colonial come from?
Did they really make the MC1 or is this a typo? I thought only Camillus and Schrade Walden made these.

At least, that's what I thought until today, when I saw one of these listed on SD
with "Logan Smyth" on the ricasso. https://www.sharperdeals.net/listing/lo ... ade/132692

Has anyone seen a MC1 / paratrooper knife with any other company markings?

Attachments
REF__MC1__Logan_Smyth__ricasso.jpg
REF__MC1__Logan_Smyth__ricasso.jpg (55.56 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Schrade made the MC-1 first-starting about 1958.
Camilluis got the contract in the mid 1960s.
At some point later, Logan-Smyth got the contract, but the knives were so bad that Camillus was re-contracted.
Colonial makes a coil spring version today.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:39 pm Schrade made the MC-1 first-starting about 1958.
Camillus got the contract in the mid-1960s.
At some point later, Logan-Smyth got the contract, but the knives were so bad that Camillus was re-contracted.
Colonial makes a coil spring version today.
Correct! By the way, Colonial's version is the best-built and most reliable of the breed. (They also have a "Lifetime Warranty").

You can't beat that with a stick!
Fishtail Picklock
button_man

Post by button_man »

Thanks for the info, guys! I wonder why Mr. Erickson didn't include the Logan Smyth version or the Colonial version in his book...?
Perhaps they are too recent to qualify - -

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I don't know about the L/S, but the Colonial wasn't being made when Mark wrote his book.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:06 am I don't know about the L/S, but the Colonial wasn't being made when Mark wrote his book.
Right on the money (as usual) Bill. The original military specification (Mil-Spec) knives (1958-198?) were propelled by leaf spring. Colonial's is fired by an inherently reliable coil spring. As a "user" Colonial uses 440C and ATS-34 steel for their automatic knives. They last longer and cut more efficiently than the old MC-1 knives. Like Bill, I have seen a large number of them and own Colonial knives. They are just better built for Police/Fire/EMT/Civilian daily use.

The old MC-1 was seen as a "disposable" knife.
Fishtail Picklock