Vintage lockbacks -- #1 of 3

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
button_man

Vintage lockbacks -- #1 of 3

Post by button_man »

-----------------------------

More stuff from the flea market this morning...... This knife unfortunately has the spring completely broken off. Ricasso is stamped 'ROSTFREI' on obverse and 'PATENT' on reverse. I have never seen an Italian stiletto switchblade with a humpback lock like this, although I suspect some of you others have probably encountered them. (Another odd feature: while it's hard to discern in the photo, the bottom edge of the ricasso is not squared off to a flat surface, but is very rounded.) Kinda so-so horn on the front; for whatever reason, they put the really nice horn on the reverse side! I am including a ton of photos here..... as always, would appreciate any info on this knife ~ ~ ~

Patent__849_open__OBV.jpg
Patent__849_open__OBV.jpg (597.16 KiB) Viewed 2136 times

Patent__852_handle__REV.jpg
Patent__852_handle__REV.jpg (385.76 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Patent__844_ricasso_OBV.jpg
Patent__844_ricasso_OBV.jpg (405.66 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Patent__845_ricasso_REV.jpg
Patent__845_ricasso_REV.jpg (470.86 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Patent__846_ricasso_rounded.jpg
Patent__846_ricasso_rounded.jpg (413.09 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Patent__841_channel.jpg
Patent__841_channel.jpg (135.56 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Patent__848_lock_humpback.jpg
Patent__848_lock_humpback.jpg (364.49 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Patent__847_locktab_faux.jpg
Patent__847_locktab_faux.jpg (362.62 KiB) Viewed 2136 times

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Vintage lockbacks -- #1 of 3

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's a coil spring knife.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
button_man

Post by button_man »

No kidding !!! I had no idea that coil-spring knives were made back then..... let alone being made in the form of Italian stilettos!
I've never heard of such a thing..... is it super-rare or anything? Is finding this on par with finding the 'Marca Oro'....?

For all practical purposes, it's now a zero-spring knife. I assume the coil busted inside; there's no push on the blade whatsoever and it has to be
pulled out manually. Is something like this a fairly easy fix? ......and is it worth doing? I would think something this unusual would merit the effort.....
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

They aren't particularly common. I believe the maker was Martinuzzo.
It's worth repairing, but it requires disassembly, winding a proper coil spring, and reassembly. Very few can do this successfully (it's difficult( and it's expensive.
Considering you have almost nothing in the knife, repair is very feasible.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
boombotz111

Post by boombotz111 »

Those knives are called humpbacks, and yes they have a coil spring and yes Bill is correct about Martinuzzo. Here are a couple of lock back stilettos that you don’t often see they did not make many of them and when you see them there usually all this size but they are quite rare early 1960s and these have a kick spring/Leafspring not a coil spring
5BEA2F28-5545-4AF0-A50B-D31C90EC2759.jpeg
5BEA2F28-5545-4AF0-A50B-D31C90EC2759.jpeg (222.16 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
C6138A54-9932-4231-9F30-57CCB9BA819C.jpeg
C6138A54-9932-4231-9F30-57CCB9BA819C.jpeg (387.69 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Sal- did you know that Angelo Campolin, Sr. held the Italian patent on those?
There were also mid lockbacks with leaf springs!
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

an old photo . . property of Dragon25 . . . . 9 inch hump back coil spring automatic dis-assembly

I drew an arrow showing how the hole is drilled axially down the length of the blade (only thru the tang/pivot area)
The drill hole extends to the very end of the tang, as this is how it is drilled, from the end.
But that end opening is not a functioning part of the mechanism. . .You put the spring into the big underside
countersink (single step centerbore) and thread the wire spring in, then seat the coil into the blade, before assembly.

Also, the photo of the spring shows it broken, . .so I drew the bent part, . . it may be drawn wrong.
My understanding is the long straight part of the spring threads up thru the pivot hole into the (red) drill hole.
and that the bent end just tucks under the underside (far-side) top bolster.
Attachments
Drgon25-9coil1.jpg
Drgon25-9coil1.jpg (108.81 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
boombotz111

Post by boombotz111 »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:55 pm Sal- did you know that Angelo Campolin, Sr. held the Italian patent on those?
I did not know that grandpa Campolin held the Patent thank you for the information Bill, as far as the other mid back locks you’re referring to with leaf springs I just sold one and when you find those the majority of them are stamped INTER
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Jerry-
Your illustration is great!
But- the spring does not have the curve that you drew.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:55 pm Sal- did you know that Angelo Campolin, Sr. held the Italian patent on those?
Here's my humpback with leaf spring and bayo blade. An uncommon combination, so I'm told..

...and a tiny lockback with leaf spring...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
boombotz111

Post by boombotz111 »

Very nice JV
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

boombotz111 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:38 pm Very nice JV
Thanks Sal!...as are yours!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Jerry-
Your illustration is great!
But- the spring does not have the curve that you drew. . . . . . . Bill DeShivs

Not my "Illustration". . .it's Dragon25's photo. . .with a tiny red line drawn by me. . .
Yup . . drew it wrong. . . .
I didn't think so. . . . . I just recall someone said part of it broke off. . . .so I assumed. . . .
I see now. . . it wouldn't need a bend at all. . . . .

My illustration would be my spring chart.
which needs serious updating and additions.
Attachments
AA1-classic001.jpg
AA1-classic001.jpg (63.63 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
button_man

Post by button_man »

Thanks to everyone for the GREAT photos and information!

button_man

Post by button_man »

I was crushed to learn today (from a vendor pal at the flea) that I only got the leftovers yesterday.... that seller also had a fully functioning stiletto and somebody beat my friend to it by five seconds. My friend does not know a whole lot about the old stuff, but even he remarked on how narrow and pointy the blade was, compared to the other old stuff that he has handled. So I suspect that it might date back to the 1930s when the blades were exactly like that. The lucky buyer got this gem for fifty dollars.... *sorrowful sniffle* My friend would have sold it to me at a healthy markup, but it still would have been much less than market value. The only thing I found today is this keychain ‘Snappy’. (three dollars!) The little spring is missing but I think you can just slip one in....?

Snappy__922c__open_OBV.jpg
Snappy__922c__open_OBV.jpg (517 KiB) Viewed 2012 times

Snappy__925__channel.jpg
Snappy__925__channel.jpg (370.19 KiB) Viewed 2012 times