"Punisher" OTF mystery knife

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
button_man

"Punisher" OTF mystery knife

Post by button_man »

Just picked up this OTF. No markings other than "3CR13 stainless steel" on the blade. An online search
turns up the fact that this designation is used by Chinese industry. But is this knife really from China....?

Punisher_OTF__1732_c__OBV_blade.jpg
Punisher_OTF__1732_c__OBV_blade.jpg (569.42 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Punisher_OTF__1735_c__blade_markings.jpg
Punisher_OTF__1735_c__blade_markings.jpg (518.17 KiB) Viewed 1913 times

The knife is heavy and very well-made. The handle is steel, not zinc alloy or aluminum. The blade opens / closes fast and locks very tight,
with virtually no wiggle. This knife is light-years from other China OTFs that I've seen, which are cheap-looking and flimsy.

Punisher_OTF__1723_c__OBV_closed.jpg
Punisher_OTF__1723_c__OBV_closed.jpg (340.86 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Punisher_OTF__1726_c__REV_closed.jpg
Punisher_OTF__1726_c__REV_closed.jpg (374.29 KiB) Viewed 1913 times

If it's a quality American piece, why isn't it marked with the maker's name and "USA"? And if it is from China, why would they bother to make something this well, when they can make money faster by churning out the usual low-priced crap? Or, if it's a company in China experimenting with higher quality, why aren't they branding their knives to establish a reputation in the field?

Adding to the uncertainty is a 'Megaknife' OTF ($70 -- no origin listed) and a 'Ravencrest Titan Bravo' OTF ($150 -- USA) that have blades absolutely identical to each other; and only slightly different from my knife. My knife has a curved choil and is made from 3CR13 steel; their knives have straight choils and are made from 440C steel. Notably, the clip-style hollow-ground blade and the presence of four oblong holes inside a curved-cut channel in the blade are present in all three knives. (The handles in these other two knives are obviously quite different from mine; although it's interesting that the 'Megaknife' piece also has "Punisher" graphics.)

Punisher_OTF__megaknife_c.jpg
Punisher_OTF__megaknife_c.jpg (109.65 KiB) Viewed 1913 times

Ravencrest_Titan_Bravo_c.jpg
Ravencrest_Titan_Bravo_c.jpg (141.36 KiB) Viewed 1913 times

So, who made my knife? Good question! Does anyone else have an OTF with
this distinctive X-top button and other features that are similar to my knife?
Any info greatly appreciated!

big_slim

Re: "Punisher" OTF mystery knife

Post by big_slim »

Made in china. The x-top button is a copy of a microtech style button.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Someone in China made your knife.
I really doubt the handles are steel. Why do you think they are?
ALL D/A OTF knives are similar. There isn't a whole lot you can change around the design.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Not every knife made in China is cheap junk, just most of them.
2024 candidate for president
button_man

Post by button_man »

Thanks to everyone for the info. I suspected that it was probably made in China -- I was just hoping that there was a chance that it wasn't.
I simply haven't seen any Chinese OTFs that are this good. I have to say that I like it, and I still don't regret buying it. ($75)

Bill, the handle seems to be steel because it takes a magnet quite strongly, even when the blade is out.
The attraction is sufficiently strong that I don't think that a couple little springs inside could account for it.

What's the story on this blade style with the four ovoid holes inside a curved-cut channel? Do you know if it's proprietary
and is just being copied without permission? Or is it not registered, and available for use freely throughout the industry?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The Chinese don't care about copying anything, or patents, or trademarks.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

I just ordered a Benchmade Infidel OTF Automatic Knife from BladeHQ. It’s a double action OTF that looks like a down-scale Desert Shark and is not as pricey, although it’s not cheap either. Have any of you loyal Talkbladers have one or have an opinion about the knife? I look forward to your comments.

Grey”OTF”blade
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I have an Infidel that Bill McHenry gave me for my small involvement with it's design.
It's an OK knife.
Mario

Post by Mario »

Definitely a China knife, but looks like a nicely built one. It’s usually a roll of the dice when it comes to quality on the low end OTFs. Some will last a long time, others will break within a month or two.
button_man

Post by button_man »

Bill, I have to amend my statement about the handle.... I went back with the magnet, and covered the handle more carefully this time..... the pull is strong in the center of the flat handle, but tapers off as you approach the edges. So, even with the blade extended, there is some underlying substance that is concentrated in the middle. Although curious, I don't quite dare disassemble the piece for fear that tiny bits will leap out in every direction, and that I'll never get the thing put back together right.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

If you can tie your shoes you shouldn't have any problems taking it apart and getting it back together. Not much to them.
2024 candidate for president
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The spring runs down the center of the handle.
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Greyblade wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:23 am I just ordered a Benchmade Infidel OTF Automatic Knife from BladeHQ. It’s a double action OTF that looks like a down-scale Desert Shark and is not as pricey, although it’s not cheap either. Have any of you loyal Talkbladers have one or have an opinion about the knife? I look forward to your comments.

Grey”OTF”blade
I have one. It's a nice knife and I have no complaints. It seems like the Microtech guys look down on this piece but it compares equally with that brand. It is actually easier to actuate than the many Microtechs I have.
infidel.JPG
infidel.JPG (98.79 KiB) Viewed 1703 times