Heads up swingguard collectors

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Belivi

Re: Heads up swingguard collectors

Post by Belivi »

Hi ljerr2, Walter has chosen 2 exclusive blade designs that I designed for him only for the Latama brand. You will not find these 2 types of design in my production. They were made specifically so that many would not come up with the idea: why buy Latama when I find the same blades on the Frank b. However there are about 250 11 "knives lying around with the normal bayonet blade we made years ago. Walter then hasn't proposed them again for the reason I explained to you. The Latama, even if it doesn't seem like it, are semi-custom knives, they are all finished and polished by hand, also because I make very few of them a year. wanted the flat button for its production Have a nice day.

Ivano
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

Luke_of_Mass wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:45 pm Ivano, while I do not quite agree with Walt's prices, I cannot imagine that anyone could rightfully blame you or Frank, and it doesn't seem like anybody has. You do your jobs as makers and export them and that is that. Walt is the retailer and handles things as he sees fit, even if some people disagree with his prices.

I'm glad to hear that much of the work is still traditionally hand made as it reinforces reason to pay respectable prices for your work (I wish nickel silver was present in all your models! -- will we see this someday??)

Luke
Hi Luke, I don't think you will see a "mass" production of nickel silver knives in my blades. The reason is obvious, it is an expensive material and must necessarily be polished by hand. It is a job that I dedicate only to a small part of my production because it takes up a lot of time and takes me away from the work for a while. When my knives become custom then I will make them all in nickel silver. However, they have been made over time in nickel silver even with the revolving escutcheon.

Ivano
TexasRed

Post by TexasRed »

Mr. Beltrame - I just wanted to say “thank you” to you and your family for making great knives that a man can be proud to own.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just saying Thank You.
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

TexasRed wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:00 pm Mr. Beltrame - I just wanted to say “thank you” to you and your family for making great knives that a man can be proud to own.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just saying Thank You.
:oops:
ljerr2

Post by ljerr2 »

Ivano - I would say the same as TexasRed - thank you for producing these collector pieces and for visiting the forum to answer questions and provide us with information! I would have never thought I could correspond with the actual maker of these amazing knives!

I understand these knives are individually pieces of art and now I understand the reason behind the two unique blade designs and not offering a standard bayonet blade option. Luckily, I have one of the older production Frank B flatguards in my collection that has the bayonet blade. It is obviously not a 5mm, but it is still one of my favorites! I guess I will just have to dream of a 5mm traditional bayonet blade with a flatguard!!! :) Until then I will try to find one of the "half-grind" models to add to my collection.
Thank you again.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Walter has chosen 2 exclusive blade designs that I designed for him only for the Latama brand. You will not find these 2 types of design in my production. They were made specifically so that many would not come up with the idea: why buy Latama when I find the same blades on the Frank b. However there are about 250 11 "knives lying around with the normal bayonet blade we made years ago. Walter then hasn't proposed them again for the reason I explained to you. The Latama, even if it doesn't seem like it, are semi-custom knives, they are all finished and polished by hand, also because I make very few of them a year. wanted the flat button for its production Have a nice day.
Here are some I have from the 250 produced. Good quality and 5mm blade.
Attachments
IMG_4882.jpg
IMG_4882.jpg (39.23 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
IMG_4880.jpg
IMG_4880.jpg (145.9 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
Last edited by Peiper on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

Peiper wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:15 pm
Walter has chosen 2 exclusive blade designs that I designed for him only for the Latama brand. You will not find these 2 types of design in my production. They were made specifically so that many would not come up with the idea: why buy Latama when I find the same blades on the Frank b. However there are about 250 11 "knives lying around with the normal bayonet blade we made years ago. Walter then hasn't proposed them again for the reason I explained to you. The Latama, even if it doesn't seem like it, are semi-custom knives, they are all finished and polished by hand, also because I make very few of them a year. wanted the flat button for its production Have a nice day.
Here are some I have from the 250 produce. Good quality and 5mm blade.
..... I remember them are the first 5mm latama productions 👍
thom

Post by thom »

Belivi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:05 pm
Beautiful and high quality knives. Thank you for your contributions to the hobby.
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

:oops:
thom wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:36 pm
Belivi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:05 pm

Beautiful and high quality knives. Thank you for your contributions to the hobby.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

still not understanding the super hi price on these , these new 11's are way overpriced The AGA/Renzo Pascotto 13"swinguards were way better quality cheaper to buy and better built , the new Frank.B/Latama 11's are made with the same old shitty ass new style button/safety assembly, the AGA/PASCOTTO 13's were old style D-stamp liners with nickel/silver button and safety , the new FrankB./latama 11's dont have that they have same stainless steel button/safety as every other Frank B stiletto , AGA/Pascotto 13's had solid nickel/silver bolsters soldered to liners that were polished by hand , AGA/Pascotto 13's also had solid nickel/silver guards ( that were polished by hand lol ) AGA/Pascotto also polished button and safety (by hand) lol
thom

Post by thom »

Until you have one in your hand. Then you will see and feel the quality. I was skeptical at first until I got one. I ordered a second that I got today. They also have way better looking horn than any AGA. Beautiful horn is the first thing I look for.
Thom
thom

Post by thom »

Here is both.
133A1CBC-0DE4-446A-BD55-C8DA82E8B54D.jpeg
133A1CBC-0DE4-446A-BD55-C8DA82E8B54D.jpeg (63.01 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
66891811-6B13-4CFF-90A8-A9651E35E834.jpeg
66891811-6B13-4CFF-90A8-A9651E35E834.jpeg (58.73 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
79C63623-35B0-4193-AF82-63E5A6F2615D.jpeg
79C63623-35B0-4193-AF82-63E5A6F2615D.jpeg (59.53 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

thom AGA makes just as nice horn as yours maybe you havent seen any but they made them , also i always hated the flat button , it reminds me of the 11" wsb swinguards which had flat buttons . these are still not worth 500 dollars each in my book , you could have a complete custom 5mm 11" swinguard made for same price . why wasnt a better button/safety mechanism made ??? like D-stamp and old style safety .
also ivano made the comment that these 11" Frank B/latama swinguards are considered semi-custom, if so then the AGA swinguards should be considered complete custom right ?????? or 90% custom anyways .
500 knives 500 bucks each you do the math, way over prices for what they are .
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Bernie,

First of all - I'll state that back 15 - 20 years ago when I was buying every permutation of Italian switchblade I could find, I bought many from you and had good experiences, and I thank you for that.

Moving to the present, value is in the eye of the beholder. Those that value knives from Walt and continue to buy from him seem to be happy with their purchases. Perhaps it is not for us to judge what holds value for another.

Jim
TexasRed

Post by TexasRed »

I agree with Jim.

If someone does not think they are worth $500, go get a custom made (if you can). If you do like these, and have the money, go for it. It just seems kinda rude to keep bashing (over and over) these just because YOU don't think they are worth it.

Just my two cents.