UNUSUAL FINDS at the flea -- Group A

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
button_man

UNUSUAL FINDS at the flea -- Group A

Post by button_man »

-----------------------------------------------

Today brought a number of unusual knives into my hands.... I have taken many photos; so rather than load up a single thread with a ton of pictures, I am creating two threads. This is the first, and consists of three nice switchblades. The second thread has the peripheral items: one non-functioning switchblade, and two wanna-be knives which are unusual in their own right -- and which are orbiting close enough to real switchblades to merit inclusion in the thread.

Group A includes the following:

1. 10 7/8" OAL swivel-bolster with nickel-silver bolsters, fully lined guards; and a ricasso stamp that reads 'KOBRA' on the obverse, and 'INOX' in italics on the reverse. When open, there is some S2S and U&D blade wobble, but otherwise everything works fine. Beautiful swedge blade.

KOBRA__1581_c.jpg
KOBRA__1581_c.jpg (301.08 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
KOBRA__1582_c__ricasso.jpg
KOBRA__1582_c__ricasso.jpg (262.85 KiB) Viewed 4298 times

2. 8 1/16" OAL swivel-bolster with brass bolsters, unlined guards, and wood scales. The ricasso stamp reads 'C. JUL' over 'HERBERTZ' on the obverse.
When open, a very tiny bit of U&D blade movement; but overall excellent condition. Flawless flat-grind blade.

C_Jul_Herbertz__1580_c.jpg
C_Jul_Herbertz__1580_c.jpg (189.76 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
C_Jul_Herbertz__1582_c__ricasso.jpg
C_Jul_Herbertz__1582_c__ricasso.jpg (140.3 KiB) Viewed 4298 times

3. 5 3/4" bo/bc with nickel-silver bolsters, green synthetic scales, and a bail that has a textured surface very similar to that found on Rizzuto bails. It has a round wire kick-spring. The sear hole is concealed when open; and goes all the way through the ricasso. The only marking is 'Stainless' in cursive script on the blade. Close inspection of the front bolster has convinced me that this knife was not made with guards; there are no signs of grinding or any other modifications. Locks up rock-solid. The blade has seen a little abuse and possible sharpening.

no_guard__1579_c.jpg
no_guard__1579_c.jpg (125.78 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
no_guard__1596_c__bolster_TOP.jpg
no_guard__1596_c__bolster_TOP.jpg (278.92 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
no_guard__1599_c__bolster_BOTTOM.jpg
no_guard__1599_c__bolster_BOTTOM.jpg (216.87 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
no_guard__1604_c__sear_hole.jpg
no_guard__1604_c__sear_hole.jpg (621.6 KiB) Viewed 4298 times

The only problems in any of these knives are those noted. Otherwise everything has consistent lock-up, working safeties, etc.

I would appreciate learning if anyone has encountered the 'KOBRA' stamp before....?

-----------------------------------------------
Last edited by button_man on Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
john

Re: UNUSUAL FINDS at the flea -- Group A

Post by john »

Cool finds
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
TexasRed

Post by TexasRed »

Nice!
frank2104

Post by frank2104 »

The sear hole on the green knife is concealed because it's a button open button close
button_man

Post by button_man »

Thanks everyone..... I just did a search here, and back in 2010 somebody mentioned having a knife marked 'KOBRA' -- since the folks here handle a ton of knives (and hear about even more) the fact that only ONE was reported here in over a decade would seem to indicate that they must be pretty rare. Although, of course, I was hoping for yet another one-of-a-kind like the 'Marca Oro' ...... but still.... only ONE other knife....??? Especially at a place like this, which is pretty much "Switchblade Central" for the entire country!

Google's translation program interprets 'kobra' as Turkish for "cobra". Of course, some American marketing consultant might have opted for a deliberate misspelling in an attempt to achieve some sort of "cool factor" -- but if they had been imported into the USA, wouldn't there be more of them floating around? More than one in eleven years, anyhow.

What if the 'KOBRA' knives really had been made for a distributor in Turkey? What if the 'Marca Oro' was made just for distribution in Italy (or Spain)?
This would go a long way towards explaining why these knives are branded in foreign languages, and why they are virtually unknown in this country.
Maybe I'm all wet here..... but it certainly is an intriguing thought.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Nice finds!
button_man

Post by button_man »

Thanks everyone..... here is a pic of the reverse side of the ricasso. Apparently variations in the lettering style of "INOX"
can sometimes provide clues regarding date or origin....? All I know is that this italicized version does not seem too common.
Attachments
KOBRA__1588_c__ricasso_REV.jpg
KOBRA__1588_c__ricasso_REV.jpg (331.71 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
button_man

Post by button_man »

The fit and finish of my ‘Herbertz’ knife seem very good.
What a surprise to see this thread: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/her ... ves.89956/
Nobody has a good word to say about the company -- it seems to be regarded with nothing but scorn.

I wonder if this is a similar situation to that of Hubertus.... very good knives back
in the day; but quality gone down the drain and just coasting on reputation.....?

Just wondering whether anyone might have heard anything about the brand.
(Also, being German, wouldn't they have made it with a lever rather than a button?
I don't know a whole lot about the German stuff..... to what extent were buttons ever used?)
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I'm pretty sure the Herbertz stiletto knives are all made in Italy. Most come with the shorter blade for the German market. I think Herbertz was more of a distributor than an actual maker.

Hard to believe that Bladeforums post you linked to is 21 years old. I think I remember it from when I was a wee lad.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

No Italian style stilettos were/are made in Germany.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
button_man

Post by button_man »

Ah, okay.... "distributor" rather than "manufacturer" brings the situation into focus..... this knife must have
been made in Italy for Herbertz; and more recently they apparently have switched to importing cheap stuff from Asia.
(So perhaps this piece dates back to the 1980s or thereabouts.....?)

And yes, the blade is not only short, but the handle is mismatched for it as well, making it seem even shorter.
The sharpened edge of the blade is only 2 9/16" and when closed, the tip is still about a quarter-inch away from reaching to the rear bolster.
(Total blade length including ricasso is 3 1/8")

Attachments
Herbertz_short_blade__1693_c.jpg
Herbertz_short_blade__1693_c.jpg (337.11 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

They simply put the 8" model blade into the 9" model handle.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
button_man

Post by button_man »

Bill, was this a common practice? Did they do it deliberately, to make a small knife seem bigger?
Or was it just an occasional thing, maybe because they had run out of the correct size handle and used whatever they had in stock?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It was done to comply with German law.
button_man

Post by button_man »

Yes, I understand that blade length is regulated by German law..... what I want to know is whether or not putting this blade into a handle that is larger than necessary, is/was frequently and deliberately done? I suppose it makes sense, because somebody with a larger hand would find it more comfortable.

Just wondering whether this sort of mismatch of blade size and handle size is seen often, or whether it's an anomaly....?