UNUSUAL FINDS at the flea -- Group A

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jim d,

Re: UNUSUAL FINDS at the flea -- Group A

Post by jim d, »

button_man,

They are fairly common.

Jim
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Yes it is most common and deliberately done on the Herbertz stilettos. I have also owned them that were stamped Molleto.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

German law specified a specific handle to blade size ratio.
It was not done for aesthetics.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
button_man

Post by button_man »

I had never heard that a ratio was legally mandated -- ! Very interesting.... thanks to all.... perhaps some kind soul could
take a quick detour over to 'Blade Pictures' and shed a little light on an old Italian (manual, alas) picklock that I just got this morning......
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

button_man,

You may also see it with Hubertus leverlocks. Older ones of a given size (11cm provides a distinct visual) have much narrower blades.

Jim
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:03 pm German law specified a specific handle to blade size ratio.
It was not done for aesthetics.
Eight-inch stilettos are legal in Germany and I think they just decided to put a short blade in the handle made for a 9-inch knife in case someone wanted a longer handle.
button_man

Post by button_man »

"German law specified a specific handle to blade size ratio."

If this requirement resulted in a blade being installed in an oversize handle, then why are German leverlocks proportionate?
Shouldn't this law force ALL knives for sale in Germany to have blades put into oversize handles also?
My "Baron" and "Schloß" knives (which I believe were made for domestic sale in Germany) don't have oversize handles -- see photos --

For some reason, I don't seem to be grasping whatever is going on with the mismatched blade/handle scenario.....
Attachments
Baron__8134_c.jpg
Baron__8134_c.jpg (91.84 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
Schloß_c__open.jpg
Schloß_c__open.jpg (56.3 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I don't pretend to understand the German law, but it's common knowledge that these short bladed knives were made to comply with it.

I don't know why the lever locks seem more proportionate.

BTW- your 2 lever locks may have been sold in Germany, but they were made in Italy.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

My assumption is that during the 80s and 90s when a lot of German market stilettos were made, not a ton of 8'' stilettos were being made to begin with, if you think about it most modern stuff to this day is 9 and 11 inches. Of course there are outliers and gimmicks that are larger and also miniscule but those are a minority and production doesn't seem very regular.

So it would make sense for producers to, rather than re-tool to produce a more obscure size for moderns, just continue with 9 inch production and put a different blade on it. no need to cast smaller bolsters, produce thinner scales, the whole 9 yards.

Again - Just an assumption
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Certainly, 8" knives were common in the 80s and 90s.
If the Italians had blades for 8" knives, why wouldn't they have the handles, too?
Strangely, 8" stilettos don't appear to have been sold in Germany during that time frame. Off the top of my head, I don't remember any other than those sold for export. Look at and read the Crowley Cutlery catalogs on my web site. There is reference to the restrictive law there.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I made a reference to the difference in blades on 11 cm Hubertus knives in a previous post on this thread. Here is the visual.

Jim
IMG_0629 (2).JPG
IMG_0629 (2).JPG (196.29 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
IMG_0630 (2).JPG
IMG_0630 (2).JPG (200.18 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:58 pm Certainly, 8" knives were common in the 80s and 90s.
If the Italians had blades for 8" knives, why wouldn't they have the handles, too?
Strangely, 8" stilettos don't appear to have been sold in Germany during that time frame. Off the top of my head, I don't remember any other than those sold for export. Look at and read the Crowley Cutlery catalogs on my web site. There is reference to the restrictive law there.
I bought two eight-inch stilettos in Germany in 1991 so they were available during that time frame. I do not know if they are still sold there and I didn't come across any switchblades during my last visit to Germany in 2015.
frank2104

Post by frank2104 »

Those leverlocks may have been made by massaro.some tang stamps say GOM
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

This Italian made for Germany blade to handle ratio would only involve the maximum sized knives of 8.25"? I mean, a 7" Italian stiletto switchblade intended for Germany wouldn't require a shorter blade to handle ratio, correct?

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I don't know.
I do know the law was complicated.