Honest Seller or Not?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
TexasRed

Honest Seller or Not?

Post by TexasRed »

I purchased the following knife this week. It was advertised as a Transitional Italian. I know (and knew before I ordered it) that it had been rescaled. The spring looks like a piece of wire as opposed the the "normal" type spring I an used to seeing in new models. Not sure it that is a repair piece or indicative of older knives. Guess I would like to ask the group:

1. Is it Italian?
2. Is it a "transitional" / Approx. age?
3. Does the spring seen to be "original" (style/design wise).

Overall I am happy with the knife for the price I paid, I was just curious about these questions. The seller has more knives, but I just would like to check to see if his description was accurate or not.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Red
Attachments
image_123927839 (5).JPG
image_123927839 (5).JPG (965.22 KiB) Viewed 837 times
image_6483441 (3).JPG
image_6483441 (3).JPG (71.63 KiB) Viewed 837 times
image_6483441 (2).JPG
image_6483441 (2).JPG (69.42 KiB) Viewed 837 times
image_6483441 (1).JPG
image_6483441 (1).JPG (78.98 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Honest Seller or Not?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Here is what you have: a relatively modern knife, rescaled with no safety, and a replaced spring. The spring is not technically correct for this style knife.
The only "transitional" features it has are fully lined front bolsters and a swedge grind on the blade.
"Transitional" is a term that can not be fully defined.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
TexasRed

Post by TexasRed »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:01 pm Here is what you have: a relatively modern knife, rescaled with no safety, and a replaced spring. The spring is not technically correct for this style knife.
The only "transitional" features it has are fully lined front bolsters and a swedge grind on the blade.
"Transitional" is a term that can not be fully defined.
Thank you Bill. I figured it was more modern (based on the price) which is fine by me. Just wanted to make sure I had what I thought I had.

Thanks!
Red
button_man

Post by button_man »

Tex ~ I've noticed that people selling APC (automatic pocket cutlery) are increasingly misusing the word "transitional" in much the same way that eBay sellers misuse the word "vintage" -- such terms are open to interpretation, as Bill noted. Another one to watch is "natural" -- it has no legal definition for food: and if they wanted to, the makers of Ring Dings and Gummy Worms could market them as "All Natural"..... the term is essentially meaningless.

When the seller said this knife is "transitional" he meant that it was making the transition
from his hands to yours....... with your money transitioning in the opposite direction.