Frank B Humpback Stiletto

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mario

Frank B Humpback Stiletto

Post by Mario »

Do any of you happen to have a Frank B humpback stiletto like the one in this video? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2crFQ47sAas

I thought this looked interesting. I understand that these kind don’t use a leaf spring but instead use a coil spring. Is it a coil spring that goes around the pivot like on modern autos where there’s spring tension all the way from open to closing?

Are these still being made or are they old models from a long time ago?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Frank B Humpback Stiletto

Post by Bill DeShivs »

They are current production. They use a coil spring like modern knives.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
john

Post by john »

These were a limited edition made less than 10 years ago and none have been made since.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Thanks for the correction. I thought they were still in production.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
huckles

Post by huckles »

I maybe can help. Shoot me a PM.
huckles

Post by huckles »

I maybe can help. Shoot me a PM.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

They’re cool looking knives but the coil spring is weak… They are not very snappy
Attachments
8676A7CC-37DD-44D3-BC1A-6AD872AC5C8B.jpeg
8676A7CC-37DD-44D3-BC1A-6AD872AC5C8B.jpeg (563.22 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

That red one sure is different. 😎
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

i myself didnt like the FB humpback stiletto's as my palm rests on the backspring when i hold and operate a regular stiletto knife so that being said the (hump) or lock on hump-back was a problem for me as i had to hold knife with my fingers and could not hold it tight in my palm like regular stiletto, when i open blade the slight pressure of my palm on that hump or lock made blade not lock correctly, i hated that design , while cool for collecting not much good for anything else .
stiletto39

Post by stiletto39 »

Here is my collection of humpbacks from a while ago, excuse the old photobucket photos.. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20633
Mario

Post by Mario »

portlandmike wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:17 am They’re cool looking knives but the coil spring is weak… They are not very snappy
Those are nice, portlandmike! Thanks for the pic. Yeah, from videos I’ve seen, they don’t seem to have quite the snap that the traditional leaf spring stilettos do.
Mario

Post by Mario »

stiletto39 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:46 am Here is my collection of humpbacks from a while ago, excuse the old photobucket photos.. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20633
Nice collection, stiletto39!
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

Mario wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:15 am Do any of you happen to have a Frank B humpback stiletto like the one in this video? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2crFQ47sAas

I thought this looked interesting. I understand that these kind don’t use a leaf spring but instead use a coil spring. Is it a coil spring that goes around the pivot like on modern autos where there’s spring tension all the way from open to closing?

Frank B Humpback Stiletto was a reissue wanted by certain collectors / customers that I wanted to please. The problem with these knives / reissue was the coil spring under the blade. You should know that the slot on the blade was made by CNC with a 2mm cutter and many of them were broken to make 200 pieces. The problem that then arose when the spring was assembled, it pushed from below and distorted the spring in opening and the blade friction on one side and was slowed down in opening. It is definitely a separate knife. Those who have it do well to keep it, it is a collector's item and will certainly be revalued over time.

Ivano Beltrame
TexasRed

Post by TexasRed »

Mario wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:15 am Do any of you happen to have a Frank B humpback stiletto like the one in this video? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2crFQ47sAas

Just got an email from Horizon Bladeworks saying they just got some in (limited edition). Just fyi.
Belivi

Post by Belivi »

TexasRed wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:39 pm

Just got an email from Horizon Bladeworks saying they just got some in (limited edition). Just fyi.
Hi Texasred, my company produced limited edition humpbak in 2012/13 200 pieces in all plus one in my possession in white mother of pearl. Then no more were produced. Rare commodity today. Maybe they come from some private collection. This is all I can tell you.

Ivano Beltrame