Schrade "double button"

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
button_man

Schrade "double button"

Post by button_man »

Yet another successful foray to the flea market today..... although I had to spend more this time ($200) I found a lovely Schrade Cutlery auto knife with buttons for BOTH the spear blade and the pen blade. The patent dates are as described in Mark Erickson's book on page 116 indicating a manufacture date between 1910 and 1916. The blades are shiny and immaculate! The springs are okay, but it helps to hold the knife so that the blades fall into the open position; otherwise lockup failure is possible with the spear blade and almost certain with the pen blade. Still, it's an extremely attractive little knife.
I can't seem to get a good picture of the scales.... they are celluloid (I think) in a sort of swirled butterscotch that might be intended to simulate tortoise-shell; but just appears dull and muddy in the photos.

Erickson's book has sections that show Schrade "double blade" knives similar to this one; but I can't find any mention of double buttons, and there are no photos showing any reverse sides. Is there an assumption either way? --that the smaller blade DOES have a button; or does NOT have a button?
Elucidation on the double-button question would be much appreciated -- !
Attachments
Schrade_spear_blade__1298_C.jpg
Schrade_spear_blade__1298_C.jpg (408.51 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
Schrade_pen_blade__1295_C.jpg
Schrade_pen_blade__1295_C.jpg (614.93 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
Schrade_pen_blade__1293__Ricasso.jpg
Schrade_pen_blade__1293__Ricasso.jpg (61.43 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Re: Schrade "double button"

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

nice score, I like it, sounds like a fair price, my I ask where this flea market is?.
button_man

Post by button_man »

It's in.... uh.... Nome. Nome, Alaska. Just take a left at the General Store..... you can't miss it. If you come to the whale carcass, you've gone too far.
john

Post by john »

button_man wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:52 pm It's in.... uh.... Nome. Nome, Alaska. Just take a left at the General Store..... you can't miss it. If you come to the whale carcass, you've gone too far.
Too funny :D
Nice score!
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

button_man wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:52 pm It's in.... uh.... Nome. Nome, Alaska. Just take a left at the General Store..... you can't miss it. If you come to the whale carcass, you've gone too far.
I know that the flea market is in Massachusetts, I was born in Marlborough Massachusetts, not trying to step on your toes.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

The Schrade doubles all have 2 buttons. One for each blade.
button_man

Post by button_man »

rock -- The C.I.A. (Collectors Into Auto-knives) neither confirms nor denies alleged sources.

--------------------------------

whip -- It makes sense that the others would be pretty much the same as mine..... I'm just surprised that somebody as thorough as Mark Erickson, who is meticulous about details to the point of obsession, never even mentions that both blades are spring-operated.... an aspect of the Schrades which seems fairly important. From reading the chapter on Schrade Cutlery, you would have no idea that the smaller blade on these knives has its own separate button, spring, and safety. I just can't get over the fact that he never utters a single word about this.

After continued examination of this chapter, I believe that my knife most closely resembles the 'golden pearl' knife (series 7504) at the top of page 125. On page 123, which features the (smaller) series 7404, the model SS7404K is shown; and this model has stainless-steel blades -- which I believe my knife may have as well. According to Erickson, my knife is anywhere from 105 to 111 years old; but both blades show no sign of rust and have a brilliant mirror finish that just LOOKS like stainless steel. The stainless knife shown in the book is marked "stainless steel" on the back of both blades; mine has no such markings. Does anyone know of Schrades made in this time period that have stainless-steel blades, but are not marked as such?
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Button_man,

Great acquisition, particularly in the condition of yours. I don't own any of these but have seen several at shows and in photos., interesting comments on all being double buttons, something I never thought about. It stands in contrast with 2 blade German leverlocks where typically only one blade is a springer.

The fact that the celluloid is in such fine condition makes it an even better find.

Jim
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

The small Flylock doubles are the same except they have a slide button on both sides. If you look in your blade channel you can see both blades are powered by a single spring that is in kind of a flattened "V" with a single pin holding the spring in.

I haven't looked through Marks book in a long time but am surprised nothing was mentioned or no pictures of both sides of the knives.

I really don't remember anything about stainless blade models. Must be pretty rare. I'm sure Mark, niceguy, wicollector or somebody that really collect these will chime in sooner or later with a lot more facts.

You have a nice one. I always liked the ones like yours with the nickel silver tips.

All the ones I ever owned were well used with cracked celluloid scales and sharpened down blades.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Your knife has carbon steel blades. It has been impeccably cared for.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
button_man

Post by button_man »

Thanks to whip and jim d. for the observations..... and Bill, thanks for the affirmation of the steel type..... I tested the blades with a magnet today and the response was robust. I have heard that stainless steel often does not attract a magnet as well as carbon steel; but I also tested a stainless blade and it seemed to stick to the magnet about the same as the Schrade. Regardless of this very imprecise test, it does seem most probable that two experts such as yourself and Mark Erickson are right..... I just found it hard to believe that the brilliant surfaces of these blades have maintained for over a century.

This leads me to the question of maintenance -- what (if anything) do I use on the blades and in the channel to keep rust at bay? I live very close to the coast where the air is moist and salty, and promotes rust. But on page 155 of Mr. Erickson's book, he devotes the entire page to the highly unstable nature of celluloid, and postulates that oils may precipitate catastrophic chemical breakdown of celluloid scales. So, what can I use on the knife? Is 'Fluidfilm' safe? My go-to knife guy highly recommends it, but I have no idea how it might interact with celluloid. I could really use some guidance on this! Thank you ~
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Stainless that is used in knives is magnetic.
I just use a light coating of WD 40 on a Q-tip on steel parts. If you inspect them frequently, you shouldn't have a rust problem.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

Nice looking double! it seems that you’re overthinking the whole thing. As Bill said, if your concerned about rust, lightly coat the blades , as for the celluloid covers , it’s been good till now so just enjoy your knife and it will probably go another century without issue.
button_man

Post by button_man »

I generally attempt to harness the Power of Worry to forestall mishap.... the "Stitch In Time" approach.

Now, if only I could last another century with minimal maintenance......
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Now, if only I could last another century with minimal maintenance......
[/quote]

When you figure that out fill the rest of us in on it, please!
2024 candidate for president