7" Stiletto Rizzuto Estileto Milano - Broken spring

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jocko952021

7" Stiletto Rizzuto Estileto Milano - Broken spring

Post by jocko952021 »

Where can I purchase a replacement spring? The closed length of this knife is 4 inches without the bail. It also needs a new safety. Any incite on where to purchase replacement parts would be appreciated. Thanks to all who respond.
john

Re: 7" Stiletto Rizzuto Estileto Milano - Broken spring

Post by john »

You’ll need to make your own parts or obtain parts from another Rizzuto or have jimbrown257 repair it for you.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Those springs were made with 3/32" music wire. It's easy to get that stuff for next to nothing.

But be warned: a Rizzuto without a spring usually ends up being much more trouble than you expect. That music wire they used almost never broke. So when a Rizzuto is missing the spring, it is almost always because someone took it out. The main reason the spring would have been taken out is because the blade wouldn't stay closed. So when you put a new spring in it, you usually have to fix the hole on the blade or the sear. And something you need to make an entirely new rocker.

As for the safety, you usually have to make a new one. It's not hard but you have to take the front scale off.
jocko952021

Post by jocko952021 »

JimBrown57,

More trouble than I expect is enough to scare me off. How would I get a repair estimate from you? I live in SE Michigan so shipping should be easy.

Thanks.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Get a hold of me at jtkreis@gmail.com for that stuff.
Mario

Post by Mario »

A replacement spring shouldn’t be too hard to make. Get that music wire, use a torch to heat it up and temper it, dip it in mineral oil or canola to quench it, test it out, and you should have a functional Rizzuto. Only problem would be if it wouldn’t stay shut because the sear or sear hole needed work. You’d then have to carefully file off the tips of the pins so the top bolster and scale can come off. That way you can remove the pivot, take the blade out and work on laser welding the sear holes if that’s what is needed. Of course you’ll need new pin stock to re-pin everything when putting it back together. Brass nails might work.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

In the mean time buy a real knife that is good for something more than a movie prop. :wink:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Mario wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:23 am A replacement spring shouldn’t be too hard to make. Get that music wire, use a torch to heat it up and temper it, dip it in mineral oil or canola to quench it, test it out, and you should have a functional Rizzuto. Only problem would be if it wouldn’t stay shut because the sear or sear hole needed work. You’d then have to carefully file off the tips of the pins so the top bolster and scale can come off. That way you can remove the pivot, take the blade out and work on laser welding the sear holes if that’s what is needed. Of course you’ll need new pin stock to re-pin everything when putting it back together. Brass nails might work.
It really doesn't work that way.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
john

Post by john »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:42 pm
Mario wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:23 am A replacement spring shouldn’t be too hard to make. Get that music wire, use a torch to heat it up and temper it, dip it in mineral oil or canola to quench it, test it out, and you should have a functional Rizzuto. Only problem would be if it wouldn’t stay shut because the sear or sear hole needed work. You’d then have to carefully file off the tips of the pins so the top bolster and scale can come off. That way you can remove the pivot, take the blade out and work on laser welding the sear holes if that’s what is needed. Of course you’ll need new pin stock to re-pin everything when putting it back together. Brass nails might work.
It really doesn't work that way.

Hi Bill,
How does it work? I was planning to buy some piano wire and make a spring or two for my knives. What is the right way? I’d like to do it correctly.
John

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If you can bend the piano wire cold, do so-as it is heat treated to spring temper already.

Heat treating carbon steel is not done like on Forged in Fire.

The piece is heated to cherry red, and is then quenched in light oil. I use canola oil. If it is hardened sufficiently, it must be sanded to remove discoloration, and gently heated to an even blue color.

That's a general description of how it's done. It requires experience to get it right.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
john

Post by john »

Thank you Bil for the explanation. I guess with some practice even an inexperienced person like myself might get it right.
John

JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

For the Rizzutos, get the music wire that is spring tempered. You won't have to do any heat treating to it. It will be just like the original spring and never break.
john

Post by john »

Hi Jerry,
Good to know.
Thank you!
John

Mario

Post by Mario »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:07 pm If you can bend the piano wire cold, do so-as it is heat treated to spring temper already.

Heat treating carbon steel is not done like on Forged in Fire.

The piece is heated to cherry red, and is then quenched in light oil. I use canola oil. If it is hardened sufficiently, it must be sanded to remove discoloration, and gently heated to an even blue color.

That's a general description of how it's done. It requires experience to get it right.
Learn something new every day. Didn’t realize that music wire was pre-tempered. That saves you some work.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Make sure you get stuff that says "spring tempered" or "spring steel" in the description. Like this stuff:
https://www.simsupply.com/departments/c ... -g7534843/