This has been asked to many times before..

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

This has been asked to many times before..

Post by J-man »

This is probably one of those questions that will be asked till the end of time, I NEED a good quality automatic mean't for serious use with a blade 3 - 3.5", With a steel that can hold an edge i.e. anything above 420, coilfired and is under 130$ US I'm currently looking at the BM mini-reflex, the SKM Cobra, The Thunder, Hurricane and the Raptor, S&W Swat autos, and the Pirana Model 2. I think thats all in my price range, any reccomondations from those or ones that you might reccomend that are under 130$ US.
Gort

Post by Gort »

If you can get a real Puma any more, that would be my first
choice. I have one. It holds a fine edge, is coil fired,
has partial serations, and is just darned sturdy. The real ones (like mine) have a Rockwell hardness dent on the
blade. When I bought mine it was ~$35. I should have
bought 3. Not a pretty knife, but a great work kinfe,
and you don't tear up when you lose or break it.
I got mine from Knifeshop.
-Gort
J-man

Post by J-man »

Model..
Gort

Post by Gort »

Booster

Unfortunately Puma stopped making this knife.
Herbertz bought the patent, and they now make
what looks like an identical knife, but I know
nothing of the quality or blade steel hardness.

This is what it looks like though

J-man wrote:Model..
-Gort
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Just received the Swat auto from PVK, very sharp and perfect for everyday carry. Even with our exchange rate, not even half of the price of a mini-reflex. Well worth the price..
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
slappy / psychoticsumo

Post by slappy / psychoticsumo »

i have a manual swat thumbstud opener and it kicks ass i been using the shit out of it and its still sharp great 35 dollar knife i dont know how the auto version is though
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Al Mar Harold Corby Tanto is a "Bear" compared to others in this size and price range. Very solid and heavier than most of the others. A thicher
blade and a great snap. I'm not crazy about Tantos but this is an industrial strength piece of cutlery.
Even the "Real Pumas" had oriental parts they WERE made to Puma specs. and assembled in Solingen.
There are several knives in this size/price range that will work for you.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I have one of the Herbertz Boosters. It is a well made, inexpensive knife with an impressive kick and lock-up. The blade is 420. However, it is an incredible value.

Jim
J-man

Post by J-man »

I'm currenty looking at the SWAT Medium combo-edge from S&W (Manual version), The normal or the B series one. What model do you have there slappy..
Zack

Post by Zack »

The manual S.W.A.T. is a great user. Another is the Kershaw Whirlwind. I have one and it ends up in my pocket pretty much every morning.
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

Mr. J-Man,

I got a gold anodized Magnum (supposedly made for Boker to their specs) on BA and I'm very happy with it. Strong spring, locks up really tight and solid, and is shaving sharp. It's Taiwan-made. KnifeShop carries them for around $50, but I got my BA knife for $33 from Robtique. Uncertain as to blade steel; KnifeShop says 420, The Knife Guy says 440. In either case, it's very sharp. I'm going to get another for carry and keep the first one NIB. I think it's on a par with, maybe even better than, my Puma Booster.
slappy / psychoticsumo

Post by slappy / psychoticsumo »

i have model 5000b all black partial serrated... lemme tell ya its real fuckin sharp i cut through a car door with it and its still fuckin sharp amazing knife
J-man

Post by J-man »

Right thru? And where did you get it, and one more thing.. Why did ya have to cut that thru that door? AND WHAT STATE IS ALL OF THIS HAPPEING IN?

And Razor, what which auto swat did you get from Josh one of the Baby autos or the medium auto?
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

J-Man...Got the mini swat marked First Millennium Run. It has a small 2 1/2" blade and perfect for the pocket. I also have a 3001 S&W folder, which i've had for a couple of years, never been sharpened and has kept it's edge....Great knives...
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Slappy,

Was that a Barbie Corvette door?