Info on Switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
scippy

Info on Switchblade

Post by scippy »

Here are a few pics of 2 switchblades .....these are in my possession now after my brother-in-law's passing.....I am, (for a lack of a better word) quite ignorant about knives ...my brother-in-law was a sportsman and collector of antique guns and knives ....the 2 knives appear in excellent shape and operate very well.............I would like to know the monetary value, but more importantly the sentiment value will always be more...Thank You!
Attachments
IMG_0147.JPG
IMG_0147.JPG (248.65 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
IMG_0150 (1).JPG
IMG_0150 (1).JPG (339.35 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
IMG_0155 (1).JPG
IMG_0155 (1).JPG (434.71 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
IMG_0154 (1).JPG
IMG_0154 (1).JPG (441.54 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: Info on Switchblade

Post by natcherly »

Both are swivel bolster knives with stag scales. The larger one is about 13" and the blade is known as flat ground. These were cheap and plentiful back in the day. Real Italian ones can still be had at 3knives.com, and perhaps at other outlets. Some are Chinese, especially the cheap ones. Not especially valuable in any case. $50-60?

The 9" is a "convertible" knife. Remove the pin at the bottom of the scale and then the spring can be lifted out. At that point you need to use the nail kick to open the knife. These used to go for about $30, but I haven't seen one for sale for a long time.
scippy

Post by scippy »

Thanks so much for that information....it's always great to know what you have inherited!...so are the 2 from different manufacturers?...the 13" one inscribed on the blade says B Rostfrei....the other smaller one has no inscription
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

If the 13" is marked "B", it could be Frank Beltrame or his father's company. Rostfrei is German for stainless steel and does not help in identification as many makers so marked their blades. Before that, they used carbon steel which was sometimes plated to retard rust. Not always successful....

Years ago I bought a convertible knife like the 9" and it was attributed to Frank Beltrame. I know he sold them on his website back then, but it is unclear if he actually made them. Makers in Maniago cooperate with each other to provide customers with a wide range of knives including some they don't personally make. Part of the charm of this hobby. :mrgreen:
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

All the info is correct BUT the price range is low. The 13" can go for $75-125, and the 9" in the range of $50-80. The prices have gone up the last two years. As you said the value maybe more a sentimental thing for you. Not sure what state you are in but check the local laws too. These are legal some place and not in others.
button_man

Post by button_man »

Local knife laws and restrictions are available at https://kniferights.org/

You may find that some collectors will eschew the smaller knife simply because they feel that the nail nick looks out of place on a switchblade. The more significant issue IMO is the big "bald spot" around the deployment button; I personally find it very unattractive and seldom purchase a knife that has heavily-shaved stag scales like this. The 13" knife looks very nice, though.

Please accept my condolences on your loss.
scippy

Post by scippy »

Thank you natcherly, Tom19176 and button_man ~ Thanks for all the insight & explanation to my curiosity....as far as laws and restrictions, I live in NJ enough said as far as freedoms!
john

Post by john »

A lot of Frank’s stag knives are shaved way too much in my opinion. It’s possible your knife came from Frank’s shop.
Some time ago I asked Frank about his tang/ricasso stamps. Below is a timeline:

1960-70 BV&F was used by Frank's father

Before 1996 Frank's old tang stamp was lower case b (capital letter "B" was used by Renzo B)

1996 to 2004 Frank used Stiletto Italy (AB Cutlery in 1996 also used Stiletto Italy. So, it is difficult to know for sure for 3-4 years)

2003-2004 Frank started using Frank B
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Great info, John! Looks like the 13" was made by Renzo Beltrame. Some of the Beltrames are family related, others are not as that surname is fairly common, kinda like Smith or Jones here.
scippy

Post by scippy »

Hey John thank you!......So because the 13" has a capital B on the blade it was made by Renzo B?.....and the year was after 1970 and before 1996?
Are any of the production years more valuable than the others?
Knfcollector

Post by Knfcollector »

Thanks very informative