Stiletto backspring

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tommyw68

Stiletto backspring

Post by tommyw68 »

Has anyone ever seen any instructions or possibly a video regarding the back spring /locking tab fabrication for an Italian? It appears to me that the back spring needs to be heated and the locking tab has to be twisted if the entire spring is cut from a single piece of plate steel?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Stiletto backspring

Post by Bill DeShivs »

That is correct.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
tommyw68

Post by tommyw68 »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:38 pm That is correct.
Thank you!

I finally got access to Pat Havlin's build along and am studying the process in some detail. Aside from a couple friction folders I have only been making kitchen knives and I have limited forging experience so much of this is very new to me. What a wealth of information that thread is.

I wish there was more information on square button functionality but I think I have it figured out... I think. Perhaps you know? Does the scale hold the button in place or is there some sort of retaining tab connected to the liner that holds the button down? I would also assume there is a small leaf return spring mounted to the same scale as opposed to a spring beneath the scale on the other side.
john

Post by john »

Hi tommyw68,
Please post the link to the thread; I'd like to check it out.
Thank you,
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

John, it is over on Bobs site. I can't believe you haven't read it.
http://www.sharperdeal.biz/forums/viewt ... 42&t=12989
john

Post by john »

I may have read it, I guess I’m having a senior moment :D
Thank you Terry :!: for the link.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

tommyw68 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:35 pm
Bill DeShivs wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:38 pm That is correct.
Thank you!

I finally got access to Pat Havlin's build along and am studying the process in some detail. Aside from a couple friction folders I have only been making kitchen knives and I have limited forging experience so much of this is very new to me. What a wealth of information that thread is.

I wish there was more information on square button functionality but I think I have it figured out... I think. Perhaps you know? Does the scale hold the button in place or is there some sort of retaining tab connected to the liner that holds the button down? I would also assume there is a small leaf return spring mounted to the same scale as opposed to a spring beneath the scale on the other side.
The square buttons use an eccentric on the button shaft to hold the button in place. You twist the button 90 degrees to remove it. Scale keeps the button from turning. The button return spring is on the rear liner.
I have one disassembled in the shop. If I remember, I'll try to take pics.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.