Gumball Machine Switchblades

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
rithvich

Gumball Machine Switchblades

Post by rithvich »

Some great stuff being posted lately so I thought I would post one of my recently found treasures) Picked this gumball display face up on ebay from a guy selling either an old gumball machine business or collection. I've never seen one of these before, any of you guys?

Anybody want to guess the age? Careful guessing as myself and Boombotz already guessed completely wrong :D
Attachments
keychains.jpg
keychains.jpg (147.19 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
Oldreb

Re: Gumball Machine Switchblades

Post by Oldreb »

Very interesting little key chains ! I have never seen anything like them ! My age guess is 1989 ??? !!! Somehow I think that will be wrong however !!! Thanks for posting !!

Wayne
button_man

Post by button_man »

The clashing neon "psychedelic" colors, the simple text in a plain font, and the 50c price, all lead me to suspect mid-to-late 1960s.... I'll say 1967.
button_man

Post by button_man »

I just noticed the 'small parts' warning at the upper left of the card. I don't think such warnings
were commonplace in the 1960s, so I'll edge my guess up by a few years.... let's say 1974.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

I'M A THUNKING, caution,bright colors,and 50 cent being cost to play the machine........ 2019.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

All sealed on card, any idea if they work (except the Italian) ? Pretty darn cool.
Chris51P

Post by Chris51P »

My research indicates that the small parts warning didn’t become law till the early 1990’s. No company is going to put that type of warning on a product until it has to. So, I would guess the early 1990’s or later.
rithvich

Post by rithvich »

Thanks for the comments guys!!

Tom...I think they work, the construction looks pretty good for what it is, I can see the spring. I was hoping you had one loose :D

Button Man...your thought process is exactly what I was doing when this came in the mail. Looking the the neon colors, the detail in the knives, the discoloration in the paper on the reverse. Then a friend came along with sharp eyes and told me the date was printed on the quarters hahahaha, Pretty sure Oldreb spotted that right away as well
button_man

Post by button_man »

I didn't look closely enough to realize that the discs were actually coins. Sherlock Holmes would be disgusted.
But even now, I would swear the date on the coins is 1929. My eyesight used to be phenomenal 30 years ago..... *sigh*

Speaking of the 'small parts' warning, here's a hair-raiser for ya -- way back when my dad was a kid, Cracker Jack used to put UNWRAPPED
marbles in the box as a prize. Just a loose marble rolling around in a box of peanuts and popcorn..... what could possibly go wrong.... LOL
Mario

Post by Mario »

Those are cute! 😁

I picked up a Fury keychain balisong yesterday.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Those are soooo cool !
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Those are pretty cool.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Never seen those before! Very cool! 8)

I bought a "lot" of I think 12 of these slightly bigger ones like I decorated this Christmas tree with 12-15 years ago. I could never find any more.
merryxmas.jpg
merryxmas.jpg (27.05 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

I was just gonna mention those Mr. Snapper, the ones on the cards look about the same size as those Hong Kong 8s (they are slightly larger than the Italians). No I don't have a loose single of any of those, too cool, even if they're newer. I'd add a card of those anytime though. lol
john

Post by john »

Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed