Black Beauty question

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Flicknifer

Black Beauty question

Post by Flicknifer »

If this question has been answered here before I guess you can delete it or direct me to the link.

As a life long switchblade collector, references are made to old ads showing the Black Beauty. Is this the holy grail of old, classic Italian switchblades?
Was it the Rizzy of its time: fair quality and inexpensive, yet a collector's dream knife now?

This inquiring mind needs to know.

Stu
"Down in town the circuit's full with switchblade lovers so fast so shiny so sharp.." -Bruce Springsteen ("4th of July")
jim d,

Re: Black Beauty question

Post by jim d, »

Every collector probably has their own holy grail knife, and the black beauty stamp is certainly pretty uncommon and valuable. Most knives sold through the old black beauty ads did not have the black beauty stamp. My understanding is that some were stamped Made in Italy or Mauro Mario but I'm not certain. I wouldn't call it the Rizzy of its time in terms of quality but at the time availability apparently wasn't an issue.

Jim
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

It's certainly my grail knife .. to find one "in the wild" is my dream and what got me started seriously collecting. I believe there are only a handful or so known to exist with the BB stamp... Redeye knows more and actually has a couple..
HLangston

Post by HLangston »

I just posted a picture of my $25 Black Beauty in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29130
Herb
HLangston

Post by HLangston »

jim d, wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:32 pm Every collector probably has their own holy grail knife, and the black beauty stamp is certainly pretty uncommon and valuable. Most knives sold through the old black beauty ads did not have the black beauty stamp. My understanding is that some were stamped Made in Italy or Mauro Mario but I'm not certain. I wouldn't call it the Rizzy of its time in terms of quality but at the time availability apparently wasn't an issue.

Jim
Don't know why, but I started out with a grail quest for a 16cm B.Svoboda and now I have five of them -- B.Svoboda (boxed), B.Svoboda Ring Cutlery, two with B.Svobody, and a 16cm fish pattern with B.Svobody.

Then I had a grail quest for a 16cm fulcrum release or swing guard and now have one of each.

Now my divine mission is to find a 16cm coilspring humpback and a 16cm flatguard. That will be a bit difficult.

I found the Black Beauty while farting around on eBay. Can't believe no one else bid on it.
Herb
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

Theres a lot of reasons the BB is highly revered amongst all collectors , Italian and American. It was the only commercially brand(ed) name advertised Italian knife amongst other things including the short run on the stamping etc. They are nicely built quality Stilettos unlike the common Rizzys which have more a nostalgic following & nod to the past when cheap ass knives were being imported .