another newbie question...

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kaosinla

another newbie question...

Post by kaosinla »

I'm just starting my switchblade collection and saw this knife on ebay. After reading the previous thread about this particular seller, I've decided not to bid.

My question for the experts is by looking at this particular swinguard, can you tell who the manufacturer is? I was looking for this exact knife in a 9". Any advice and/or suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... tegory=475
floater

Post by floater »

Welcome Mr. kaosinla.
I can't speak from personal experience w/ lowcost beyond what I've learned from happening upon a photo I knew wasn't his and his subsequent claim. I have several knives made by AKC, the maker of the knife in your link, and I'm very happy with the overall quality of each. Contrary to what lowcost might have you believe, they aren't difficult to find. Checking this forum's "Good Ones" list is a great place to start looking for someone honest.

floater
It's all here before your eyes / Safety is a big disguise ....
That hides among the other lies / They divide and conquer.
floater

Re: another newbie question...

Post by floater »

kaosinla wrote:........My question for the experts is........
:oops: So sorry. I answered in way too bigga hurry. I don't even come close!

floater
kaosinla

Thanks

Post by kaosinla »

Thank you! I'll be checking the list constantly. I'm getting an MT and will be asking advice on that.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

kaosinla,
welcome to the forum!
check out blade auction,stu 7-11.
tequiza
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
kaosinla

another question

Post by kaosinla »

Thank you for the listing (strongly considering). Which do you think is a better swinguard AKC or Beltrame?

Thanks
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Blade Auction always has at least 2 of the 9''s and 8"s you are looking for but they are older and go for more money but you could pick one up now for about $135.
PB
missaman

Post by missaman »

PM me ....
Missaman
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

not the stag one mr missaman - :shock:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: another question

Post by Vagrant »

kaosinla wrote:Thank you for the listing (strongly considering). Which do you think is a better swinguard AKC or Beltrame?

Thanks
Welcome
I'll take a wild guess both are really made by Jndiana Coltelerie, in which case there would be no difference. If I'm wrong watch the replies. "Wrong" does not last long here :!:
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

kaosinla wrote:Thank you for the listing (strongly considering). Which do you think is a better swinguard AKC or Beltrame?

Thanks
Contrary to what they would have you believe, AKC do not make swing guards, neither does Frank Beltrame or Armando Beltrame (AB/SKM). Almost all the swingers are made by Jndiana, who do not as far as I am aware have a retail outlet of their own. All three then put their own logo on them (or have it done by someone else)

Much of the Italian knife-making industry works this way, the "big three" only actually make a small portion of the knives they sell, most are bought from small, independent manufacturers who supply all three.

Best wishes
Teddy
missaman

Post by missaman »

mrbigg wrote:not the stag one mr missaman - :shock:
Na that one I'm rather fond of :D
Missaman
floater

Post by floater »

Teddy wrote:.......Contrary to what they would have you believe, AKC do not make swing guards, neither does Frank Beltrame or Armando Beltrame (AB/SKM). Almost all the swingers are made by Jndiana......
:?: Why then do all my 11" swings with the AKC stamp have well centered guards & the others are a little off?

floater
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Greetings,

That is because they have only JUST started making good the error that has plagued the 11 inch swingers for years .... I've so far seen only the blonde, stag and im. ivory ones.... there are MANY of the old ones still about with tangs marked "MADE ITALY" or "440B" .... while they are nice enough knives the guards are off-centre.... the NEW ones have their tangs laser-etched to suit whoever is selling them ... I have a very nice AB 11 inch swinger that also has the guards centred... take a look at my knife pics and see for yourself... :wink:

Best wishes
Teddy
kaosinla

searching for swinguard

Post by kaosinla »

Thank you for your responses!!!

Quality-wise, should I only be looking for the swinguards with the brand laser etched since they are newer and incorporate better centered guards?

In an exhausting search, I still have only found one 9" white AKC on BA. It seems white 9's are hard to come by. I may have to get an 11". In the links below, these are some I'm considering. What do you think?

I'm sorry if I'm a pain in the a**, but I do appreciate all of the help you guys are giving me.

http://www.bladeauction.com/cgi-bin/osa ... ber=729631

http://www.bladeplay.com/index.php?disp ... NGUARDSIMI

http://216.71.158.68/webcat/033115new.shtml

http://www.classicgunsandknives.com/kni ... mID=100475