Frank Beltrame hole in the blade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
TMD

Frank Beltrame hole in the blade

Post by TMD »

Hello
I just received a f11inch frank Beltrame stiletto, that instead of an indent in the blade for the button, have a hole in the blade. Is this the new standard?
When did this change happen? the blade is also a little bit beefier than on my other 11inchers. any input is appreciated.
TMD
JulesVane

Re: Frank Beltrame hole in the blade

Post by JulesVane »

Definitely got noticed just this year.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Yes started this year. At first I wondered if they were knock offs as the Asian models normally had this feature, but they are Franks. I have not handled them, and I see you say the blade is thicker?
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

huh. you mean it's drilled all the way through? that is strange. pics?
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
TMD

Post by TMD »

Yes I was thinking the same about the chinese knock offs, Here is a picture of mine, the one to the right is the hole blade.
picklocksrock

Post by picklocksrock »

TMD wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:49 pm Yes I was thinking the same about the chinese knock offs, Here is a picture of mine, the one to the right is the hole blade.
Yes mine has that same hole drilled all the way through. I just bought a brand new one like you, same thing. Its definitely a Frankie B the quality is really nice! no blade play, it’s very straight. I really can’t notice any difference whatsoever, only from an aesthetic point of view!
“Tough times never last, but tough people do”
-Robert H. Shuller
TMD

Post by TMD »

Yes you are right, the quality is very high and the lockup and straightness is great, I just found it a little bit weird with the design change.
Thanks for your input!
thom

Post by thom »

Is the one on the left an older FB? Also is the one on left nickel silver? I sold my older FB’s , like an idiot, but I think one of my older ones had a hole straight through.
Also is the one on left a pick lock?
Thom
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Kind of tough to tell, I'd ask you to hold it up to the light but I guess there's no reason to lie about something like this lol maybe they've improvised some way of buffing them automatically whilst strung on a line or something lol
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Luke_of_Mass wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:40 am Kind of tough to tell, I'd ask you to hold it up to the light but I guess there's no reason to lie about something like this lol maybe they've improvised some way of buffing them automatically whilst strung on a line or something lol
Here's a closer shot. Apparently on all new Frank Beltrame stilettos and swinguards alike....

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
TMD

Post by TMD »

thom wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:39 pm Is the one on the left an older FB? Also is the one on left nickel silver? I sold my older FB’s , like an idiot, but I think one of my older ones had a hole straight through.
Also is the one on left a pick lock?
Thom
Yes they are both Frank Beltrame, wanted to show the older narrower blade, I believe the left one is nickel silver and yes the left one is a picklock.

TMD
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Some very trust worthy sellers are showing the new models on FB and the normal stiletto's and swing guards all have the new whole through the blade now....Strange
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Not sure I like it, I wonder if he will do it to Walt's stuff... Luckily I'm pretty much done collecting things from Frank, got everything I want, basically - unless more 9inch picklocks turn up somewhere at a price reasonable enough for a pauper like me - both of which are highly unlikely.
picklocksrock

Post by picklocksrock »

Luke_of_Mass wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:48 pm Not sure I like it, I wonder if he will do it to Walt's stuff... Luckily I'm pretty much done collecting things from Frank, got everything I want, basically - unless more 9inch picklocks turn up somewhere at a price reasonable enough for a pauper like me - both of which are highly unlikely.
I like the older models better also. I’m not a big fan of the hole but at least it’s still great Frank B quality. I only have a few of the older Frank B, but they are extremely collectable!
“Tough times never last, but tough people do”
-Robert H. Shuller
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

i'm thinkin that the thru hole is to speed production, so you dont have to set a depth stop for the not thru hole.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"