The devil himself

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

There's something very special about knives that I don't feel for my firearms. I can't quite put my finger on what the difference is but I suspect that a knife is a more "personal" possession, something that's used daily, beautiful in it's own simplicity :D ...............I'll have to ponder this one for awhile.
Anybody else have any thoughts on the uniqueness of knives :?:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
missaman

Post by missaman »

Mr falcon,
I feel the same way but I believe it has to do with the fact that I am never without a knife but only carry a pistol when goin' to da hood.
The exception is my grandfathers hunting rifle
Besides a knife is a more useful tool .... Until you need a gun.... :wink:
Missaman
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

As I see it Firearms are more like tools. My knives are works of art.

SD
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

stepdaddy wrote:As I see it Firearms are more like tools. My knives are works of art.

SD
Which do I like more my right arm or my left :?:
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Mr Vagrant guess that depends on what hand you click with :lol:

SD
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

stepdaddy wrote:Mr Vagrant guess that depends on what hand you click with :lol:

SD
The right because I'm one out of four, and what are the odds three righties could learn to click lefthanded :?: :?: :?: :?:
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

missaman wrote:Spelling was never 1 of my strong points

Mr. missaman,

You have strong points?

(Sorry missy, the Devil made me say that!).
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

I was thinkin' about old 666 when Stepdaddy posted that thread about where was everybody. I miss the old antichrist. He sparked one of Wally's most profound threads.

Maybe I am just missing the threads, but has Jim been around lately?
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

SD,

I agree completely! In fact, I had a "discussion" about this very topic yesterday with my wife who thinks that switchblades are weapons. My words were the same as yours "works of art". I really don't consider my switchblades to be weapons any more than I consider a tire iron or a baseball bat to be a weapon.

Hollowdweller,

Not to be presumptuous, but did you mean me?

Jim
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

jim d, wrote:SD,

I agree completely! In fact, I had a "discussion" about this very topic yesterday with my wife who thinks that switchblades are weapons. My words were the same as yours "works of art". I really don't consider my switchblades to be weapons any more than I consider a tire iron or a baseball bat to be a weapon.

Hollowdweller,

Jim
I sure did. Glad to finally run into you thread wise again.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

jim d, wrote:SD,

Hollowdweller,

Jim
I consider something IS what you're using it as :!:
A knife can be a weapon, tool, or work of art.
When my Samoyed was alive he would disappear while I was loading the canoe to go home after fishing. The only thing that would bring him back was to pull my pistol a discharge a round into the ground [I called this a "ground round"]. In this case the pistol was a "dog call" NOT a weapon.
I could "get away" with this here in N.H. but in Mass. it would have probably meant some time in jail. A blank pistol might have worked as well but wouldn't be a useful as the real thing for any other purpose.
The real one was/is more versatile. Used as a drill, .25=1/4" .357=3/8" .45=1/2" approximate values when "drilling" wood. Yes I've used it that way several times. A 12 guage slug =3/4" [again approximately].
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Vagrant wrote: Used as a drill, .25=1/4" .357=3/8" .45=1/2" approximate values when "drilling" wood. Yes I've used it that way several times.
A friend of mines brother-in-law had his ski boat stored on a trailer in his backyard for several years. It was covered but it filled up with rain water anyway. Since my friend was tired of the boat in his yard and wanted to drain it as expeditiously as possible he took his .22 pistol and fired a shot into the underside of the hull. It dribbled for a long time but it emptied. :D
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Vagrant wrote:Used as a drill, .25=1/4" .357=3/8" .45=1/2" approximate values when "drilling" wood. Yes I've used it that way several times. A 12 guage slug =3/4" [again approximately].
I used the old Fox 12 gauge to cut down saplings. Effective as hell, and only a 8-10 lb pull. A lot less work than the hatchet is, especially in TX in July.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

BennytheBlade wrote:
Vagrant wrote:Used as a drill, .25=1/4" .357=3/8" .45=1/2" approximate values when "drilling" wood. Yes I've used it that way several times. A 12 guage slug =3/4" [again approximately].
I used the old Fox 12 gauge to cut down saplings. Effective as hell, and only a 8-10 lb pull. A lot less work than the hatchet is, especially in TX in July.
I've got to the point that my first thought when dealing with a problem is; which gun do I use. Then I think of what else may work.
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Hey Vagrant,

What do you think was the dog psychology behind that :?:

I have dog that will escape from his fence if he hears a gun go off. I have to walk about 50 yards from my house to shoot or I have to go chase him and put him back up.