AKC 777 Blackfinger

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JPD1998

AKC 777 Blackfinger

Post by JPD1998 »

After looking at these for years and reading mixed reviews, I decided to try one.
They're definitely retro looking and much different than modern OTF's.

The fit and finish is not bad and considering their history I'm pleased with it. It's not a hard use knife , but I think for light work , it would be fine.
I'm thinking about adding one of the Concord models , 077 or regular.

Maybe some can share their experiences with these? I'd appreciate it.

Tom19176

Re: AKC 777 Blackfinger

Post by Tom19176 »

The larger one you have is a bit better than the thinner ones. They are all light use, but real made in Italy models. The newer AKC ones ( F 16 and EVO) are both Asian made.
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

Thank you Tom

I just ordered the polished 077. I wanted the polished Concord 007, but couldn't find one so I'll wait. I'm not too crazy about anything with coated surfaces.

The 077 is slimmer than the one I got, but still has the scales front and back.
I like the look of the one without the scales and with the thumb ramp.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I have had a couple Concord models. They are nothing I would spend money on now unless you just had to have one in a collection. They were flimsy and had a twangy; broken rubber bandish sound when opened and closed. They were my least favorite inexpensive out the fronts back when the asian Lightnings and tomb raiders were more popular 10-12 years ago.

I haven't handled any of the new cheap otf's, like the stiletto style snickers posted recently, but those reviews sound much better to me for a knife you might do a light cutting with..
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

The one thing the Italian ones have over the cheap Asian ones is the materials used are better. The Asian are pot metal, where the Italians are made of better metal. All for light use. My friend has a bunch of the Italian ones for 30+ years and they all work fines still.
The new AKC F 16s and Evos are from Twain but are made to AKC specs and are decent for light use.

I had a bit of a back and forth with a guy selling the EVOs on FB as I reminded him they are sold by AKC but NOT made in Italy.....I even sent him the link from 3Knives that clearly says their are not from Italy, but he still markets them as Made In Italy.....
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I don't know if I agree with that when it comes to the Italian OTF' being really any better made. Plastic buttons and scales and plated pot metal is plated pot metal and plastic wherever it says it's made. Chinzy soft blades are the same as well.

To be honest I bet most of the parts used to assemble them were imported from outside Italy.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I maybe wrong but I think the Italian 777 ones and the thinner model of it are aluminium

Check the specs ( all of them) here :

https://www.grindworx.com/item--AKC-077 ... OTF--25754
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

Yes they're aluminum.

Very light weight compared to the pot metal clones.
I wouldn't use them for anything heavy, but they're an iconic style.

I have his one for heavy work.

whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Yes, I can tell just by looking the 777 in the picture is some kind of cheap brushed aluminum. That is better than molded pot metal, but I still would bet the parts were imported from a bat soup slurping source.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Bat soup, is that made by Campbell's soup?
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I found an old can of Campbells Oyster stew in my pantry dated 1989. I bet if I open that it will closely resemble bat soup...lol
sammy the blade

Oyster stew, no wonder it's still in there.
Dave. B

Post by Dave. B »

JPD1998 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:35 pm After looking at these for years and reading mixed reviews, I decided to try one.
They're definitely retro looking and much different than modern OTF's.

The fit and finish is not bad and considering their history I'm pleased with it. It's not a hard use knife , but I think for light work , it would be fine.
I'm thinking about adding one of the Concord models , 077 or regular.

Maybe some can share their experiences with these? I'd appreciate it.

I always liked this model and have wanted to pick one up for my collection. I think it is a nostalgia thing from when I was a kid leafing through the back of Soldier of Fortune magazine looking at all of the ads for things I wanted to buy. :D
Last edited by Dave. B on Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave. B

Post by Dave. B »

I have one of the EVO OTF and they're not too bad for the price. It opens and closes hard, locks up tight with minimal blade play. The handle material is aluminum and the anodize job is pretty good. The blade steel is not great (Aus -8) but for what it is I can't complain.
AKC EVO.jpg
AKC EVO.jpg (339.55 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
sammy the blade

I like that EVO, where did you find it?