Fixing knives thst won't close or fire

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
rnchesnut

Fixing knives thst won't close or fire

Post by rnchesnut »

If you have a knife that won't close properly or the button is frozen try WD40. It unlike oil is not a lubricant. It dissolves grease, grime, rust. and removes humidity. I have a vintage knife that when purchased had these problems. Oiling only partially helped it. But when I flushed it thoroughly with WD40. Bingo- the knife functioned as it should. This knife was probably not cared for in decades and needed a thorough cleaning out. Hope this advice helps a knife in need.
TazmanTom

Re: Fixing knives thst won't close or fire

Post by TazmanTom »

Be careful, WD40 leaves a residue that can attract dirt. It's a great flusher, but IMO, future problems could arise if left in the mechanism. Once again, IMO. TAZ
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Just shake/blot excess WD 40 out of the knife. WD 40 is just light mineral oil in an evaporative carrier. It won't gum up any more than any other oil.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Blackbelt1

Post by Blackbelt1 »

I have 3, 45 cm. (18 in.), AGA Campolin, swivel bolster, switchblades, that will not fire (open), unless you rap on the button, with a screwdriver handle or piece of wood. All these knives are unused. All 3 knives were oiled with Walt's Latama oil, then flushed completely with gun action cleaner solvent, until dry, and no oil inside. They do not fire with oil or no oil! Could this be a problem of a burr on the little prong (point), part of the button firing arm, that goes into the tang hole? I hate to send them off for disassembly. Can this problem be solved without disassembly? If disassembly is the only answer, then I will send them off, to Mr. Bill DeShivs Master Cutler, and Genius of switchblades, and the man who works miracles! I would like some answers first, please???? Jon Kuemmerlein Blackbelt1 dewclaw007@gmail.com
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Disassembly is not necessary usually. These require careful reshaping of the sear holes.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Blackbelt1

Post by Blackbelt1 »

Thank you so much Bill for your advice, I sort of polished the sear hole, and then I used Break Free, let the knives sit overnight. Wiped them down, and started working the action on all of them repeatedly. They start working again. These are 45 cm. (18 in.) AGA Campolin knives. So all is good now, one is Damascus. I would like to get at least 4 more 45 cm. (18 in.) Camopolins. I know they are very hard to find, I just hope someone might want to sell the ones they have or if a dealer has any. That and the flat guard 33 cm. (13 in.) Campolins, are low in my collection. I just love those flatguard Campolins, they are super made! Thanks again Bill. Take care. Sincerely, Jon Kuemmerlein Blackbelt1