Question about switchblades

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jonathon Knight

Post by Jonathon Knight »

I just got a switchblade and it's my first so I need a little help with it. It's a coil fired switch and it won't open. Can anyone give me a parts desription and a pic would to help me get it back together and working the way it should. Thanks

Jonathon Knight
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

WHAT MAKE AND WHAT MODEL IS IT?!!!There are so many different ones that no one can help you if you don't give more details.Where did you buy it from?A few little details like this can be very helpful.We would like to help you but we can't without more DETAILS!!!What does it look like??If you can post a pic.DO!I can't post pics myself so I understand if you don't! But please, more Details!We are here to help! :roll: Cheers the spotlight kid.
switch67

Post by switch67 »

Here's the knife Jonathon is talking about.Looks like a "godfather" to me.Anyone have any experience with reassembling these?

Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Hi Jonathon. If the knife is coil fired maybe the coil is broken or not probably installed on the pivot point of the blade. I've replaced a few coils and they are fairly easy to do. PVK has some replacement coils that might fit yours.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Johnny, holy crap your first switch is a Protech godfather?! I would kill for one of those! Anyhow if that is a real protech godfather it doesn't belong in someone or a police lock up.
Jonathon Knight

All I can tell you is that I bought it at a gun/knife show. The gentleman couldn't tell me much more than the price he wanted for it but from collecting fixed blades over the years I knew I had found a good knife. I do know that the locking system is a push button and the opening method is push button and that it is a PROTECH GODFATHER. I'll post more info as soon as I find out any. Thanks everyone.

J. Knight
Zack

Post by Zack »

Jonathon,
Quick question... It doesn't open at all? What is it doing, exactly?

Zack
Jonathon Knight

It won't open at all
Zack

Post by Zack »

Does the button move smoothly and feel springy?
Jonathon Knight

It moves ok. It doesn't stick and it isn't hard to push. Soemone told me that the coil might be installed wrong but without a pic or some kind of description I wouldn't know how to check.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Hi Jonathon,

If you need a new spring you can get it at PVK.
The Godfather requires the large spring.

http://pvknife.com/webcat/

I have not been able to find any internal diagrams, but
most coil fire knives are not complex. If it's anything like
my Puma, the knife can be disassembled by removing the
central body screws. The knife will then seperate into
2 halves. Be careful while you separate, springs and buttons
have a tendancy to fly apart and get lost. The coil is up
around the blade pivot, and the firing button typically is a
cylinder with a detent which fires the blade by disengaging
the cylinder from the blade.

If you hold the button in, and then pull the blade out with your fingers, will it open?

Good luck,
-Gort
Jonathon Knight

Yes if I hold the button I can open the knife
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

It sounds to me that you have a defective coil. As mentioned by Gort dissasemble your knife carefuly and inspect the coil. The coil should be seated into the bottom half of the handle at pivot point. Next install the blade and make sure the tip of the coil goes into the small hole on the blade. Try and close your blade, if you have tension on the blade the coil was installed correctly. Re-assemble your knive and test blade for tension when closing and tighten the screws. Do not over-tighten the pivot screw, or this would prevent the blade from opening properly. Hope this help. If not i'll buy the knife for a reasonable price.. :wink: :wink:
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Coil Springists-

For the ultimate in coil springage, please refer to the Bonzoid Archival photograph of the one and only super WJC coil mechanism. All other cannot compare, but probably work.

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Jonathon Knight

Hey everyone, I wanna say thanks to all the people who tried to help me with my switch. I finally figured it out and it works great. Glad I stuck with it and didn't sell it :P Thanks again everybody :twisted: