Gravity knives, new German knife laws, Bokers

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Dick

Gravity knives, new German knife laws, Bokers

Post by Dick »

Thanks for the couple of responses.
Gotta get the hang of this new site.

Anyone have any info on the proposed new German knife laws that will out-law gravity knives and modify existing switchblade laws in Germany - I have seen a bit about it on the Knifeshop news forums but would like further info.

Wouldn't mind a discussion on what people think of the following gravity knives - ie which ones they prefer and the high cost some of them are getting on the likes of Ebay etc (well at least before they seem to get pulled off by the Ebay nasty police).
Some examples to consider could be -
1. Bonsa (originals) compared to the newer "Bonsa" look- a- likes"
2. The German Paratrooper gravity (wood handle jobs some with the "take apart" button, others that couldn't be taken down for cleaning) compared to the green plastic handle (take down) repos, and the cheap little "silk rippers (commonly advertised for sale on that other well known blade auction site!). Anyone ever seen the English made Ibberson gravity knife in the flesh (so to speak!)?

Alas - some of the nice old Boker switchblades are no more -
the 712's and the 715's (not that I can tell the difference between the two models except for the scales on them. I have 4 of them - two with stag, one with wood (beautiful), and the other with black acrylic (jigged plastic). All great knives and extremely well made.
Anyone got some of these knives and care to comment on them.

I also have a few of the Boker Top locks - one done with pearl inserts and with a file worked blade. Nice piece but I still like the older Boker stuff.

Regards, Dick.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Dick
I have quite a few of these knives.
The Bonsa gravity/OTF is nicer than the newer Klaas version. The Klaas is painted, but still seems fairly nice.
Military gravities- the originals were finely made, but getting expensive!
The post WW2 version had a trap door cover, black plastic scales, and no spike. They were made for 5-6 years only. The newer gravity is the same size as the first model, with green plastic scales. The commercial version with the cap-lifter bolster is NOT military issue, contrary to popular belief, and I suspect the latest ones are made in the Orient. I have seen a few of the commercials bring incredible prices to the unknowing. I have only seen pictures of the English version, though I do know they made a "sterile" version for undercover operations.
The "silk rippers", though nice knives, are not military copies. The original was marketed by Wingen, and others, and was only marginally better than the current knives.
The Bokers will be sorely missed. I have several. One is a "712" with original stag scales! Probably made before the "715" designation.
Bill
Dick

Post by Dick »

Thanks Bill,
Of the Bonsa gravity - what do you think the current market value would be on the largest one they made (ie with the 4 inch blade and the 5 inch handle)?

Dick.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Dick
Since I don't sell knives, I really don't know. Swwms like I saw one go for $200-$250 on Bladeatction.
Bill
Dick

Post by Dick »

Thanks Bill, I note that Myers quoted them at $60.00 (back in 1982) while Langston in his new book on s/blades quotes them at between $350 - $425. My guess is that around $250.00 for one in very good condition.

Bill, could you drop me a private email to discuss how I might get a blade engraved by you - just mulling it over at the moment - have nothing in mind yet.

Regards, Dick.