1960's OTF Italian Trap Door stiletto

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sammy the blade

Re: 1960's OTF Italian Trap Door stiletto

Post by sammy the blade »

thom wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:55 am
sammy the blade wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:38 pm The two things on theupper right hand side that look like two 66 with the bottoms filled in. Touch it on the quote your posting on and the quote will come up.
Thanks for the schooling sammy
Glad to help!
2024 candidate for president
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

niceguy2 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:02 am
METALGOD wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:00 am anyone know how many tang stamps were made for these vintage OTF knives ? ive seen 3 so far ( IRN, C.Jul Herbertz, Inox Depose )
I believe mine had a ROSTFREI marking, nice find there Bernie
I know some on back of blade they are stamped ( ROSTFREI) , some (ROSTFREI PATENT) , some( Patent) , and some with no stamp on back of blade at all.
drbiamonte

Post by drbiamonte »

what a love-hate relationship I have had with these pieces Like most people I consider this Nice to be an urban legend I was so disappointed in the quality that I did lose interest I have a few of them and I remember hearing stories how these knives were essentially made for the tourist trade I also remember the rumors that there were some well-made ones However I have never seen a well-made one nor ever heard of anyone say they had seen a will made one. when I think of OTF of course I think of Microtek I have a parachuters OTF which is very good quality about as good as Microtek though it is an older mechanism
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

drbiamonte wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:50 am what a love-hate relationship I have had with these pieces Like most people I consider this Nice to be an urban legend I was so disappointed in the quality that I did lose interest I have a few of them and I remember hearing stories how these knives were essentially made for the tourist trade I also remember the rumors that there were some well-made ones However I have never seen a well-made one nor ever heard of anyone say they had seen a will made one. when I think of OTF of course I think of Microtek I have a parachuters OTF which is very good quality about as good as Microtek though it is an older mechanism
well i dont think they were made for the tourist trade at all they are just not that cheaply made like the tourist knives, im told they were in fact made for the german market and didnt sell well due to hi production costs so this is why they are rare and very hard to find. i myself have been wanting one for many years but could never find one for sale and all the ones that came up on auction i was always overbid, these knives are highly sought after and very valuable .
drbiamonte

Post by drbiamonte »

I was not told about the German market I was told years ago by someone I considered an authority that they were made for the tourist trade I stand corrected. Everyone that I own and everyone that I've ever seen is cheaply made I have never seen an Italian OTF that was anywhere in the league of quality as any of the micro techs. that way if there does exist a group of these which is high-quality that definitely gets my interest. The Italian OTF that I owned have very wobbly blades have very little force when the blade is executed so I can only go by what it is that I've actually seen I would love to hear reports of how the better Italian OTF perform
picklocksrock

Post by picklocksrock »

Those are just a pure thing of switchblade beauty!
“Tough times never last, but tough people do”
-Robert H. Shuller
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Here is one with the Irn stamp.
DSCN2214.jpg
DSCN2214.jpg (56.74 KiB) Viewed 3302 times
DSCN2213 (1).jpg
DSCN2213 (1).jpg (54.84 KiB) Viewed 3302 times
DSCN2215.jpg
DSCN2215.jpg (46.23 KiB) Viewed 3302 times