1960's OTF Italian Trap Door stiletto

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Tom19176

Re: 1960's OTF Italian Trap Door stiletto

Post by Tom19176 »

When I was a teen my parents took me to Europe every summer. I was in love with knives my whole life. The stuff I saw in Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Germany and France was amazing ! I wish it was more common to take pictures back then as it would be great to have photos of them all. Every tourist store had switchblades in their windows! The cart full of switchblades was just outside St Peter's square ! Memories....lol...
john

Post by john »

natcherly wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:24 pm Wow, what a find.

I don't understand the "wire on the side", and "without wire" references. What is that about? What does the wire do, or not do?

Hi David,
I agree wow what a find!
The spring keeps the trap door from flopping around it keeps it open or close. Here are my two examples one with the spring or wire on the right (top photo) and the other without.
The one one the right has the trap door on the on the cutting side of the blade. It’s on the opposite of side of the majority of the knives of the type. It’s somewhat rare.

Hi Bernie, that’s an incredible score!
ImageImage
Last edited by john on Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Georgedbugge

Post by Georgedbugge »

I'm picturing Metalgod's living room full of ultra rare Italian knives, next to a couple of Stradivarius violins, an original Van Gogh painting, some unpublished Da Vinci notebooks.... :D :D
Maltese flatguard

Post by Maltese flatguard »

Tom19176 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:25 pm When I was a teen my parents took me to Europe every summer. I was in love with knives my whole life. The stuff I saw in Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Germany and France was amazing ! I wish it was more common to take pictures back then as it would be great to have photos of them all. Every tourist store had switchblades in their windows! The cart full of switchblades was just outside St Peter's square ! Memories....lol...
That’s what I was thinking. Too bad there aren’t more pictures from back then it would be exciting to see!
john

Post by john »

Hi Bernie,

I found some info for you.

These knives were made in Maniago in the 60's by Rosa Uliana Primo and his brother.

John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

Hi John very cool you have one with wire and trap door on opposite side as mine and one without, i was told ones with wire are more rare . them are super super nice ones you have i have always wanted this style but either always got overbid or just out of reach mony wise . the seller i bought this collection of 60's an 70's knives from told me the maker ( Rosa Uliana Primo ) who i have never heard of before until now. im definetly dont know much about these otf knives like do you know what the knife is made of ? are the bodies aluminum or ? bolsters ? trap door? i wanted to list in the auctions all the materials that make up the knife but i honestly dont know .
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The frames are brass that is nickel plated.
I have never worked on one of the metal-handled models.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:21 am The frames are brass that is nickel plated.
I have never worked on one of the metal-handled models

Thanks for info Bill i kinda figured you of all people have had one apart before :)
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

anyone know how many tang stamps were made for these vintage OTF knives ? ive seen 3 so far ( IRN, C.Jul Herbertz, Inox Depose )
sprink

Post by sprink »

Wow, those are amazing Bernie great acquisition of some great Italian classics

Thanks Mike hey you get out and about shoot me text or call me you can stop by check them out if you like :) That would be great Bernie, i appreciate the offer , will try to get in touch soon
sprink

Post by sprink »

Well that last post didn't go the way i planned , apparently I don't know how to transfer a quote like everyone else does 🙄
thom

Post by thom »

Sprink, I don't either
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

The two things on theupper right hand side that look like two 66 with the bottoms filled in. Touch it on the quote your posting on and the quote will come up.
Last edited by sammy the blade on Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
2024 candidate for president
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

METALGOD wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:00 am anyone know how many tang stamps were made for these vintage OTF knives ? ive seen 3 so far ( IRN, C.Jul Herbertz, Inox Depose )
I believe mine had a ROSTFREI marking, nice find there Bernie
thom

Post by thom »

sammy the blade wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:38 pm The two things on theupper right hand side that look like two 66 with the bottoms filled in. Touch it on the quote your posting on and the quote will come up.
Thanks for the schooling sammy