BOBC

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Pima Pants

BOBC

Post by Pima Pants »

I do not own a "button open, button close" switchblade, but they don't seem very common. Why not? Is it significantly more difficult to manufacture these as opposed to a picklock, lever lock or swivel bolster switchblade? It seems to me that they should be more popular. What are your thoughts?
JulesVane

Re: BOBC

Post by JulesVane »

I have a few from the 60's and a couple from the 70's and really like them. Why they don't seem to produce them much anymore is a mystery to me.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Maltese flatguard

Post by Maltese flatguard »

Pima Pants wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:58 am I do not own a "button open, button close" switchblade, but they don't seem very common. Why not? Is it significantly more difficult to manufacture these as opposed to a picklock, lever lock or swivel bolster switchblade? It seems to me that they should be more popular. What are your thoughts?
They didn’t design/patent this style until the early 1960s and by about 1967/1968 the market for Italian stilettos has shrunk so much all Italian switchblades were being produced in much smaller numbers than the 1950s. And manual stilettos were probably being made in larger quantities than autos.
Last edited by Maltese flatguard on Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

It is weird that Bo/c stilettos aren't more common. I guess the makers just consider the standard swivel bolster stiletto to be the way switchblades are supposed to be.

One other thing about a single sear bo/c (which is the common kind) is that you are limited in size to about 11". Anything bigger than that becomes difficult. Even a tiny bit of warping of the scales or a slightly crooked pin can mean you need to press the button really hard to fire it. Because the sear is so much closer to the pivot, you are having to overcome more force to lift the sear up. This is why the biggest production Bo/c (which I think is the AGA 13", and very few of those were made) has the double sear so the sear holding the knife closed is lower, like on a normal stiletto.

And the reason those double sear Bo/cs aren't more common is that they are just more difficult to make.
fxsource

Post by fxsource »

i think the design for a button open and close is difficult to make. the slide design is better for such a knife.
Pima Pants

Post by Pima Pants »

Thank you, gentlemen, for your knowledgeable answers. I appreciate all of them.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Is there a locking tab on the bobc knives? Just wondering how the blade locks.
2024 candidate for president
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

sammy the blade wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:59 pm Is there a locking tab on the bobc knives? Just wondering how the blade locks.
Yes, the same sear that holds the blade closed also locks the blade open. It's basically the same as your standard lever but instead of a lever pulling the sear up, it has a normal rocker where a button lifts the sear. Levers are much better for this as the prying up action of the lever allows for a much stronger spring holding the sear down.
Maltese flatguard

JimBrown257 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:21 am
sammy the blade wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:59 pm Is there a locking tab on the bobc knives? Just wondering how the blade locks.
Yes, the same sear that holds the blade closed also locks the blade open. It's basically the same as your standard lever but instead of a lever pulling the sear up, it has a normal rocker where a button lifts the sear. Levers are much better for this as the prying up action of the lever allows for a much stronger spring holding the sear down.
If anyone has ever seen the patent for the BO/BC rocker it’s easy to understand how it works. :)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

All of the Schrade-patent American switchblade knives (except one) were button open/button close. They were made by the millions up until 1958.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Maltese flatguard

Bill DeShivs wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:00 pm All of the Schrade-patent American switchblade knives (except one) were button open/button close. They were made by the millions up until 1958.
👍 But he was referring to Italian switchblades.