FAQ for taking care of the knife

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

FAQ for taking care of the knife

Post by arthas »

Hi!

We're thinking about including, in every package AB/SKM ships, a sheet with a FAQ for the care-taking of the knife. There should be questions and aswers such as:

- My knife doesn't open fully anymore. How do I fix?
- How do I resharpen the blade?
- How do I store the knife?
- How do I clean the bolsters, the handle, ...?
- How do I keep the damascus blade in good shape?

You know better English than me, so if anybody has some time... could you help me in preparing these sheet by suggesting new questions/answers and posting answers to the current ones? A gift (that cuts ;-)) will be mailed to the more helpful ones!!!

Thank you so much, dexter.
Last edited by arthas on Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Dexter,

Here are my thoughts:

Question: How do you close a stiletto? (This one has been asked on the forum several times)
Answer: Show the photo in the SKM FAQ

Question: How do I store the knife
Answer: The knife can be stored in either the opened or closed position. It is best to wipe the knife with a clean cloth prior to storing for an extended period.

Question: How do I clean the inside of a knife?
Answer: Spray with WD-40 or equivalent and then remove with compressed air or a cloth

Question: How do I polish a knife?
Answer: Use a good metal polish such as Simichrome on the metal parts of the knife. Follow the polish manufacturer's directions. The entire knife can then be waxed using neutral shoe polish or car wax.

Question: Does Damascus steel require special care?
Answer: Yes, Damascus steel is succeptable to oxidation (rust). It should be kept clean, and if stored in the presence of salt air, a light coat of oil or WD-40 will protect the blade.

Question: My knife does not always open to the full and locked position when fired. What can I do?
Answer: Clean and lubricate the blade mechanism. If the knife is new, it may be tight and require firing several times to loosen. This job is fun.

There are many ways to sharpen a knife, and they are no different for switchblades, so I do not think it is necessary to address this issue on the package insert.

Regards,

Jim
Doofus Emeritus
King and Tyrant

Post by Doofus Emeritus »

Mr. Jim D,

I would frown on the use of WD-40 to store blades in. WD-40 turns gummy after a while and gets sticky and hard to remove. I learned that the hard way with a pistol I once stored. I sometimes use WD-40 to clean the knives, but I just use gun oil to lube them up.

Best Regard's

Bonz
In Search of the Eternal Buzz
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Bonz,

It is odd that you had a problem with WD-40 getting gummy. I have used it extensively over the years to protect various things from the salt air and have never had that problem. Maybe you had a bad batch or maybe salt somehow prevents the problem. It would be ironic if salt air was actually beneficial for some material.

Your suggestion of gun oil is a good one, it is what I use now that don't live near the ocean.

Jim
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. Dexter,

Question NOT to be included:

Does Imitation Horn Warp?
Last edited by JerrBear on Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Dexter...perhaps you should also include the excerpt from the Help Desk on tightening the blade. The expanation you used there was good. If space on the FAQ sheet is limited, you may want to omit steps 5-8. Doesn't sound like something just anyone should be farting aroung with.
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Here is my little guide on those questions you asked there dexter, these are about the stilettos.

Stiletto Q/A:

Q: How do you unlock the stiletto when it is in the open position?
A: Push down on the bolster, which is on the side where the shank of the blade has a small hole and/or a logo stamped.

Q: How do you use the safety?
A: All stilettos which are 5 1/2" (13.9 cm) open have a safety slide on the same side as the firing button push away from the button to have it in a firing position, push it back towards the button to lock it back up.
Note: Using the safety is HIGHLY recommended if you are going to be keeping it in the closed position for long periods of and/or pocket carry.

Q: The bolsters and/or Firing button and/or safety switch seem to be extremely hard to push open, is this because it's new or does it need repairs?
A: New Stilettos, in-fact the majority of new autos from any company when new the firing buttons are stiff, after clicking it for a while it eventually loosens up, if it really bothers you, put a drop or two of oil or a squirt of WD-40 (or similar substance) near the bottom of the button (there is a slight opening, operate the button to get the oil all the way in). Now for the safety switch, typically it's the same with the firing button it just needs to be broken in, adding oil is a lot easier just drop a little in the slide grove push it up and down for a while to desirable looseness add extra if needed. And the bolsters it is pretty self explanatory of how to fix them just add a drop of oil when they are pushed down then slowly move it up and down till it is easier to open add more oil if necessary.

Q: My stilettos loose after use how do I fix it
A: Use what you did before on the skm site.

Q: How do I sharpen my blade?
A: There are many methods to this, For one if you know what you are doing you may use a steel rod/honing stick, You can easily put the edge back on with a steel but can easily take it off SO BE CAUTIOUS!

Place the knife blade against the tip of the sharpening steel at an angle of approximately 20 degrees. Pull the knife down and across the steel, describing a slight arc. Repeat this action on the back of the steel to sharpen the other side of the blade. Repeat steps 2 and 3 five to ten times, alternating the left and right side of the blade. It is very important to maintain the angle of 20 degrees and to run the full length of the cutting edge along the steel from the hilt to the tip of the knife. Speed of movement plays no part in this process.

You may use an automatic sharpener follow the sharper's instructions though.

Sharpening on a stone is the most common method of sharpening.
When grinding your knife on a stone, Use a wet-stone and add lots of oil to it (just about any kind of oil it can be multipurpose lubrication oil, or even motor oil) If you are reading this your edge has dulled from constant use or steeling. Make sure you use the exact angle at 30 to 40 strokes before your new edge is formed. Use more strokes if needed. The angle used it determined by how sharp you want the knife. The smaller the angle the sharper the edge. However be aware that the sharper the edge the sooner it will fade, and need to be re-sharpened. If it is too difficult for you to maintain the correct angle, throughout your regrinding procedure, take your knife to a reputable knife grinding service in your area or something similar to that. There are also many other sharpening methods but those are the most common always take GREAT CARE when sharpening a knife.

Q: What is a "picklock" Stiletto and why are they key chain ones refereed to as a "picklock" occasionally?
A: A "picklock" is an old locking mechanism, they are mostly used on the key chain line it is simple, pinch the blade and then lift up the lock by "picking" at it with your thumb nail once it is released just simply put the blade back into the closed position.

---------

to be honest I know barely anything about damacus so I can't help you with that I can help you put it into normal english (you do your best typing it up and I correct the grammar and spelling).

And Dexter if you want to use that just tell me here or via e-mail and if you want some detailed images for opening and closing just ask I wouldn't mind a gift in the mail either.

Also I know alot more I just wanted to give an example (but hey I got carried away) and now well I mise well stop, but rember if you need more and maybe some images gimme me a yell.
Last edited by J-man on Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. J-Man,

What is your primary language?

Do you preview what you write?
JerrBear
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Subtonic DAMN SPELL CHECKER! I changed that, my primary language is english and one more thing, sorry for little commas I was in a hurry.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. J-Man,

You have a "Spell Checker?"
Get your money back!
JerrBear
Steely Dan

addition to how do I

Post by Steely Dan »

For those that might be interested, I have found a good product for lubing your knive with out attracting dust and lint, which I have found will happen with a liquid or oil. The product is put out by Hoppe's, its a dry teflon powder and can be purchased in gun shops.
I use in on firearms and knives in areas where I want it super slick and not attract dust or lint from a pants pocket.
On a switchblade I put a little in the safety slot and work it back and fourth, the same goes for the button area, depress the button while the knife is open place some in the opening with a tooth pick, put it any where you would oil , you will be amazed at the difference.
Also if you have a nice knife thats just for clicking while watching t.v. or in a display case why sharpen it? you'll avoid scratching the blade. I love Italian stiletto's but the only one's that are worth sharpening are those blades of ats-34 steel, all the rest are to soft to hold an edge well.
Steely Dan :wink: P.S. It is slightly hard to find, so buy two
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Dexter,

One other thing to consider including would be a statement such as "Holding the button down while closing a stiletto reduces wear on the locking components"

Jim
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Doofus Emeritus-

Gee, I forgot to tell ya'- at yer 4th of July festival, I gave all your knives, you gun safe, and yer Honda a complimentary lubrication application, consisting of renal filtered Rocky Mountain spring water.

No need to thank me.

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Doofus Emeritus
King and Tyrant

Post by Doofus Emeritus »

Mr. Corpse, True-Jerk,

At least it was Coor's, whew! Almost had me worried. Don't you have anything better to do? Like, washing your eye, or lubricate nurse Retchid's itchy spot? Herr Schultz misses you.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
In Search of the Eternal Buzz
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Doofus Emeritus-

Uh huh, I see how it is- Once you've been annointed as semi-important lapdog to the Paladin, you feel free to bandy about mean phrases unto the legions of loyal Bonzoid fans. I guess that'll drop the value right out the wax ring king crown souvenir I got from your holiday party. I suppose next year's debacle Wally invitation will be lost in the mail while you and your newer Paladin pal are busy trying on the two man three legged swim trunk speedos.

Oh, sure, your ol' pal, once the knothole of yer eye, is now cast aside like just so much mold lawsuit supeona documents that your dog was too smart to eat as yer legal defense.

Just you wait and see what happens when I announce a formal former challenge to your benefactor, Dexter. See if the adoption papers come through after that!

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse