New Mago (of Italy) OTF Knives.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jay Blade

Re: New Mago (of Italy) OTF Knives.

Post by Jay Blade »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:03 am I'm sure I'll come out with one soon.....
If so, Sweet!!!
Nick Wiggins

Post by Nick Wiggins »

Bill...exactly my point. Earlier in this thread, someone else posted that these were available on dhgate..as to support their Chinese origin. What I said concerning benchmade and microtech..was to possibly illustrate that these could possibly be counterfeited as well.
Also, as I said in my original post, I got mine from Grindworx(an apparent subsidiary of Bladehq), so I have severe doubts in their shadiness in mismarking these ‘Made in Italy’..as mine is.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

They are all made exactly the same ... you can’t find a quality version of one like you can Benchmade or Microtech. Every one of these “Italian” OTF’s comes from China..
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:39 am Nick, Nick, Nick- all those Microtechs, Benchmades, etc., on DHGate are counterfeits!
EVERYTHING on DHGate is Chinese, and most is counterfeit. I had a bass guitar built through them. It was a counterfeit VOX. I had them install the decal backwards so it days "XOV."
How do you like the bass?
2024 candidate for president
Nick Wiggins

Post by Nick Wiggins »

Shouldn’t really speak of benchmade and microtech as if they’re equivalent in build quality, as they most definitely are not, at least in their otf knives. Sad to say...but the design and function of the internals on this Mago far surpasses the abortion benchmade came up with for the Infidel. I own both, have had both apart. In my mind...kind of a comparison of the simplicity of an AK versus an AR...
Oh...and I must have recieved an anomaly then...as the mago I got was pretty decent. Which is why I upgraded the scales...and may cut new bolsters out of nickel silver...
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The bass is OK. I used it tonight.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

When you have to change the scales AND the bolsters it’s time to rethink where the knife came from ...

Those stag replacement scales do look great !
JayK

Post by JayK »

Tom19176 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:40 am I like the knife and started a post about it weeks ago on ShaperDeals, but I totally agree with Bill and Jim as to the miss marking with a fake company name is not acceptable. Listing the wrong country is also wrong, but there are many companies that do that too. The F-16 may have shipped out of Italy to retailers, BUT we all know it is a China product..... All in this knife is a nice product.....
Well we expect the Chinese to cheat steal and lie but what about the American dealer, in this case Grindworx? Did anyone tell them it was counterfeit? If they continue to sell it with some unauthorized name on it they could be accountable for copyright infringement (if protected) or loss of revenue type lawyer talkin stuff and so on and so forth....

In any case they are a U.S. company and making lots of U.S. dollars by using and misrepresenting a product name. Don't even think about trying to hold the chinamen tha sell it to them accountable haha!

p.s. a lot of your Ford motor vehicles are made in Mexico now
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

These OTFs are from China not Italy. Blade Head Quarters/ Bladeplay ( now renamed Grindworks) are all the same company I know them since they started, It was two guys back then. BladePlay was the first company, and then Blade Head Quarters was started to sell higher end knives. BP was recently renamed Grindworks. Cam the one owner still involved is a great stand up guy, BUT these are NOT made in Italy.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

This is the present post and you will see they took out the country of origin :

https://www.grindworx.com/item--Mago-9- ... tto--33808

This is made in Italy and they left the fact in...

https://www.grindworx.com/item--AKC-Con ... atic--9760
Nick Wiggins

Post by Nick Wiggins »

Well...really, after owning innumerable actual Italian switchblades in the past, and quite a few otfs from Italy as well...it’s this very reason why the origin of this knife really matters little to me.
Why? Well, with the exception of the leverletto, the general overall quality of Italian switchblades(late 1970s and newer) is very inconsistent... a lot of the time leaving a lot to be desired, ESPECIALLY with their otfs.
I, for one, have been wanting an Italian style d/a otf like this for a long time. I have one of Burn’s(Paul Panaks)..but it would be nice if one of those maniago families would pick up the gauntlet and make their version.
Snickers

Post by Snickers »

I've just ordered a 9" model from GrindWorx and I know they are Chinese made. I just gotta have one.

One thing I learned about Chinese manufacturing is that they'll make anything in any way the contract calls for. They can make em cheaply or they can make em high end. I expect this knife to be of decent quality.
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

When i first saw them I had a feeling they were fake just by the way they were made.