Hmmm, would you...

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kugr

Hmmm, would you...

Post by kugr »

If you had the chance to buy a vintage picklock, that was cleaned, but the cleaning took off the stamp, then you asked if it had a stamp, the reply was, it said mauro on it, but I have no proof, would you try to get it?
Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
kugr

Re: Hmmm, would you...

Post by kugr »

I really want to add a mauro to my collection. No idea what they are fetching.
john

Post by john »

If someone buffed off the stamp they had to remove a lot of metal or the stamp was faint that it buffed off. I can only recall seeing the Mauro Mario stamp deep enough so that normal cleaning would not buffet off. Ask for photos of the tang area. I would be a little reluctant to purchase this knife, but that’s me. I’d wait until I could read the Mauro Mario stamp.
Does anyone else have any ideas?
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
kugr

Post by kugr »

Borrowed... lol

natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

The seller's explanation is not believable. Beware. I would only pay what an unmarked piece would fetch in the marketplace.
kugr

Post by kugr »

I will heed y'alls advice, I'll pass on it. Here's the link.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Italia ... %7Ciid%3A1
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I have seen some MM stamps that were so light that even light sanding made them virtually invisible. That knife on Ebay is already more than you'd want to pay for a knife that's stamp has been lost.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I could barely get a picture of this one, it's so faint. Even worse on kris blades, where it never fit well to begin with.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

What’s wrong with that button ?
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

The seller never says this in the description, I assume you must have PM'd him...

I don't believe the explanation that the stamp was totally buffed off with no trace. It's also hard to believe someone would put this much effort into restoring the blade and the rest of the hardware to be all shiny and new-looking and completely ignore the bug-bitten scales. But that leaves us with the question of what exactly is this knife..?

I've been told the ones that weren't stamped at all were generally for local consumption and are therefore rarer since the majority were exported. If that is the case for this knife it could be more desirable than, say, a generic Inox or Made in Italy stamp to the right collector.

I think what happened was he saw that you were interested enough to actually reach out to him and wanted to keep your interest and made up the story to help justify the cost.

At the starting price its already overpriced in my opinion since it needs a good $100+ of restoration work.

Luckily, Mauro Mario is probably the most plentiful namesake stamps out there from Maniago's "Golden Age" so you shouldnt have much trouble finding one here or possibly at a knife show; a pristine Mario is usually still half the price of a less-than-pristine Latama.

Luke
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I was thinking about this knife some more. I bet there was never a stamp. I would guess that the seller found it and asked around and some collector told them, "It is a picklock made by MM and the blade has been polished." Then the seller mistook that for meaning that a MM stamp had been polished off the blade.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Is this the same knife? Description sounds the same... http://www.sharperdeals.net/listing/mau ... ock/124520

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
thom

Post by thom »

Think so. Recognize the bug bites.
kugr

Post by kugr »

Yep, same knife. Man I'm glad you guys are here to keep me from making more mistakes... haha