Export or not

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Lucentcrow

Export or not

Post by Lucentcrow »

How do you know if a vintage switchblade was made for export or not ?

Joe
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Re: Export or not

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

I would say that there must be a tang stamp.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Though, I guess INOX and ROSTFREI are European spellings for Stainless, I often thought that when markings/stamps were written in English, must mean they were never intended to remain in Italy. Like: Prototype - Stainless - Patent...etc. When a piece was destined for Germany, you'll often see an 8" style blade in a 9" handle. These are just my thoughts.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Lucentcrow

Post by Lucentcrow »

Thanks julesvane

Just a thought trying to learn, it’s all interesting but seems no one has all the answers but it’s fun to guess thanks mate.

Joe
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Joe

I class all the IMPORT marked knives as exports from italy to other countries.

I have a pre ban transitional Herbertz Import marked with 2 made for the German company to retail and have seen a few IMPORT marked blades along with other numbers,3 ,4 ,7 possibly to mark scale variants or blade types in the cottage industry.I havnt found out yet.

Other knives imported by NewYork from italy are marked Panamex,Omega,Ethan ,Astor and Imco and probably more.

As Chris said Knives made for the German market in Italy were limited to a a 3" blade but had german retailers marks like Klass ,Gustav Branner ,Herbertz and many others .Same with some italian leverlocks that were sold in Germany marked with german aellers.

Someone with more knowledge will stop by for you I'm sure.

gravknife
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

I bought my first switchblade in Florence circa 1956. It had a carbon steel blade with thin plating (nickel?) to prevent corrosion. It had no markings of any kind. I believe the lack of tang marks is typical of knives made for internal consumption in Italy at that time.
Lucentcrow

Post by Lucentcrow »

Thanks fellas