Antique American Switchblades the book

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
shursnap

Post by shursnap »

First I'd like to apologize for not being more active in this forum in the past. I've been a member for sometime, but haven't done much posting. I log on once in awhile and enjoy reading what's going on and seeing some great pictures! I occasionally try to help answer a question or make a comment or two, but have not been as active as I would like to be. I know many of you through auction transactions and have met some of you at knife shows and through emails, etc. I've been an avid collector of antique switchblades for nearly 20 years and I'd like to say that I'm simply fascinated with them, but I guess "addicted" is a better word :roll: I knew early on that I couldn't afford to collect all of the knives that I was attracted to and realized that my deepest appreciation was for the antique American-made switchblades. I've spent the last 18 years, or so, collecting, studying and researching these knives and I can tell you that it has been a labor of love!! I've accumulated quite an interesting collection as well as a large database of information and finally started to put it all together in book form. Many of you who know me, knew that I was working on a book, but then again, you hear that quite a lot. I guess the cat came out of the bag with the latest edition of the Automatic Knife Resource Guide and Newsletter where I was interviewed by Professor Dan Fuller. The book, "Antique American Switchblades" is now in the hands of my publisher and is scheduled to be released in early April. It contains as much information as I could cram into both sides of 144 pages, including full color photos of over 600 knives, though the publisher has indicated that they may have to cut many photos before they're done and all they've promised is "over 300 knives". There will be information on the manufacturers and the history behind the knives as well as a timeline showing "who" made "what" and "when". There is a whole chapter on grading a knife as well as advertising and misc. knife related material. The results of my research into the Aerial/ Jaeger Bros mystery, who is "Bruce Seabright" and other questions answered. There are a couple of other surprises which I think collectors will find very helpful. I did not plan to do a price guide, but the publisher insisted, so I gathered up the data I had accumulated over the past years including results of online auctions, private auctions and prices that I have paid and seen others pay for knives combined with my knowledge of availablity, and considered many other factors in an attempt to place realistic market prices on the knives. It truly was a labor of love and I hope that it proves to be a useful and informative reference for collectors of antique American-made switchblades for years to come. I will be taking advance orders soon and I hope to find interest and support on this forum. I should have the price and other pertinent information from the publisher in a day or two and will post again. Thanks for your time and I look forward to talking with all of you and getting to know you better in the future! Shursnap
Life is not a destination.... but a journey. Don't forget to stop and smell the Roses as you go!

(Couldn't hurt to pick up a few switchblades along the way too! ) ;-)
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Shursnap,

Thanks for the update. Let's see, "Switchblades of Italy" has gone to press and your book is in the works. Now we need an expert to address German, Czech, Russian etc switchblades. :D

Jim
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Look forward to it-
David- get to work on your Mikov book :wink:
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

Mr. shursnap,

Please post information on how and where to get the book. It was very helpful they way Ragtimered did it with his book and what a beauty it is.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Ditto to all of the above. Ragtime Reds book and now yours. How sweet it is. :D
blackjack
Take Care
blackjack
'...I'm warning you...if you say Jehovah once more...'
'Women are experts at finding a man's faults and then constantly reminding him of them'
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

How come all the good stuff is available at times when I can't even afford to pay attention?
Straydog 5247

Post by Straydog 5247 »

Vagrant wrote:How come all the good stuff is available at times when I can't even afford to pay attention?

Vagrant ! I know what you mean ! Why, I can't even give you the "time of day !" :wink:
missaman

Post by missaman »

Glad to hear Its on its way :D I look forward to my copy.
Hard back? color pictures? Inquireing Knife nuts would like to know.
Missaman
shursnap

Post by shursnap »

Sorry for the delay in responding.... been very busy. The book will contain full color pictures of over 300 antique American switchblades. They took pictures of over 600 knives, but not enough room for all in this book. It will be softcover, but I'm pushing for a hardcover collector's edition. There will be very informative history and manufacturer information on all American manufacturers as well as contracted knives prior to 1958. You'll find a timeline showing when all the companies were in business as well as a whole chapter on how to grade a switchblade knife! There are a couple of other things that I think you'll find very helpful in your collecting endeavors, not to mention a price guide!! And what would you imagine all this information might cost you???? Believe it or not only $24.99 plus shipping!! You can pre-order books directly through me by emailing me at shursnap@mwt.net or simply Paypal $30.00 to my email address and be sure to include your shipping information. You can also order by mail by sending $29.00 to: AAS BOOK, Box 183, Gays Mills,WI 54631. I should have a website up and running by the time the book is released in April. Please feel free to ask questions and I'll try to do more posting here as time permits! Thanks for all the support and well-wishes! Mark
Life is not a destination.... but a journey. Don't forget to stop and smell the Roses as you go!

(Couldn't hurt to pick up a few switchblades along the way too! ) ;-)
tanto

Post by tanto »

BennytheBlade wrote:Look forward to it-
David- get to work on your Mikov book :wink:
That would not be that difficult .... The design of Mikov autos has not changed for years... Other than this one there was one OTF auto and that is it.

David
---------------

My knives + watches