Storage and care of Switchblades

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
SwitchGear

Storage and care of Switchblades

Post by SwitchGear »

How about a thread on storage and care of our collections?

Coat them in oil?
Not in cloth?

No humidity.

How to prevent rust issues.

I’m real new to collecting and finally getting some nice pieces together and would like to keep them in the best possible condition.

I also live in a very dry climate, which helps for rust issues but is a contributing factor to scale shrinkage.
StilettoGR

Re: Storage and care of Switchblades

Post by StilettoGR »

Your condition of storage that you have i think its ideal but to be sure keep them oil in blade and the mechanism one time every two months and it will be super also some guys tell stored open but i don't think this is a problem because because many years i was lost one of my switchblade and i find it recently and worked pretty fine as new dont to be mentioned no oil and all this it was closed in a closet many years back :)))
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Is it ok to keep them in their leather holsters?

I've seen some wrapped in bubblewrap before, does that trap water in with the knives?
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
StilettoGR

Post by StilettoGR »

As far as I know leather absorbs moisture and leave in blades black marks or shades but of you keep you knife with a thin film of oil you will ot have any problems as for the bubble wrap i dont know anything for this...i prefer to having my collection inside of glass always oiled and and with moisture collector outside.
SwitchGear

Post by SwitchGear »

Don’t leave them in leather sheaths, I do know that!