Inox & identification?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
SwitchGear

Inox & identification?

Post by SwitchGear »

While I get INOX is a generic term for “stainless”

I see lots of “Vintage Inox” stilettos for sale.

How do I determine value of an “Inox” Switchblade?

Thanks guys and gals
Chad
orangeboy

Re: Inox & identification?

Post by orangeboy »

There are thousands of knives with this marking- a picture speaks a thousand words.
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
SwitchGear

Post by SwitchGear »

Im not speaking on one knife in particular.
Just as I am trying to learn and collect Italian switchblades I’ve been very cautious and the Inox is a confusing one for me.
Some guys want a lot of $$$ and sometime there cheap.

I suppose we’re back to letting it speak to you, study pics carefully and have a little luck on your side?

Is there a decent reference guide out there?
I have “Switchblades of Italy” by Tim Zinser, Dan Fuller & Neil Punchard but there’s not too much on Inox or values.

Thanks
Chad
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Switchgear

When a switchblade is marked INOX or Rostfrei and you have no makers name avaable then you have to go on the knifes build quality ,or its looks to determine value.

Many transitionals with lined bolsters,D stamped liners and nice horn ,or BOBC knives, and vintage Swinguards have these generic stainless Inoxidable and Rustfree markings ,but can be as well made as some of the named knives.

Here are a couple of different knives marked INOX and Rostfrei that are vintage.One is a very early bayonet bladed transitional ,marked INOX ,Another black horn Bayo transitional marked INOX ......the others a BOBC from the 60s.Marked Rostfrei and a stag transitional marked Rostfrei in slanted script
The swinger is a modern 90s marked ROSTFREI

All appealed to me as a collector for differing reasons and value when buying was an afterthought.
I picked them for their looks not the name ,or lack of it.

There is no price guide to these knives unfortunately ..
I hope this helps a little.
I agree with you a little knowledge,look for build quality signs and luck can go a long way with these .

gravknife
Attachments
20180224_102240.jpg
20180224_102240.jpg (770.93 KiB) Viewed 10970 times
20180224_102316.jpg
20180224_102316.jpg (636.69 KiB) Viewed 10970 times
DSC_0022 (1).jpg
DSC_0022 (1).jpg (410.09 KiB) Viewed 10977 times
20180224_102419 (1).jpg
20180224_102419 (1).jpg (633.64 KiB) Viewed 10977 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Attempting to collect vintage is quite the learning experience for sure! Know that saying: 'If it walks like a duck....etc"? I'm not quite sure that applies to this hobby. If there was the same Maniago craftsman that spent time producing for Coricama (for example) and every piece was of the same quality in every way, but one knife just didn't get that Coricama stamp. You'd have one heck of a time selling that knife as a Coricama. Quality is there in every way, but just will never be a Coricama because that stamp is the only "proof". Sure, the seasoned collectors can say "it looks like" or "has the traits", but referring to value....? It's a shame because some of the unstamped pieces are great! I guess the designer label applies here.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

JulesVane wrote:Attempting to collect vintage is quite the learning experience for sure! Know that saying: 'If it walks like a duck....etc"? I'm not quite sure that applies to this hobby. If there was the same Maniago craftsman that spent time producing for Coricama (for example) and every piece was of the same quality in every way, but one knife just didn't get that Coricama stamp. You'd have one heck of a time selling that knife as a Coricama. Quality is there in every way, but just will never be a Coricama because that stamp is the only "proof". Sure, the seasoned collectors can say "it looks like" or "has the traits", but referring to value....? It's a shame because some of the unstamped pieces are great! I guess the designer label applies here.
Excellent post and very well said.

Especially when some knives made by the Coricama group were specifically ordered with just an INOX stamp.
Last edited by orangeboy on Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
SwitchGear

Post by SwitchGear »

Dang super helpful info you all! Kind of what I was feeling. The next is the “online” pictures. Haha some are much better than others at this. Like make junk look really good, or make a fine blade look really bad.
Tough business. The bottom line is smart decision making, gut feelings, and a good pocketbook;)