Little bo/bc

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Panzerfaust

Re: Little bo/bc

Post by Panzerfaust »

I didn't know they were designed in 1959. I do know the first one I had was from the 1970s because it was given to me in 1981 from someone who bought it in Europe in 1978. I think he said he bought it in Switzerland, a country that banned autos in the mid-1980s. I have not seen any knives sold on display cards when I have been to Europe, but when I first went to Italy in 1995, switchblades were restricted and could only be owned by someone who has a gun license. That is what a street vendor in Florence told me, who sold me a nine-inch and three mini stilettos, so I think the stricter laws were passed in the mid-90s. When my cousin went to Italy in 1986, he said switchblades were for sale everywhere and I have a 13-inch he bought for me at a train station.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Something kind of weird just occurred to me about these knives: despite their general inferior quality, they almost all seem to be in excellent condition.

Am I imagining that?
big_slim

Post by big_slim »

JimBrown257 wrote:Something kind of weird just occurred to me about these knives: despite their general inferior quality, they almost all seem to be in excellent condition.

Am I imagining that?

LOL, I've never really thought about it but you're right, I don't remember ever seeing one of these in "used" condition. I've seen a lot of low quality switchblades that have been used and abused but not these.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

JimBrown257 wrote:Something kind of weird just occurred to me about these knives: despite their general inferior quality, they almost all seem to be in excellent condition.

Am I imagining that?
Seems you’re not imagining it.. I went and dug out the closest thing I could find in the safe. It was this little guy and yup, excellent condition. I have Rizzuto‘s that are beat to crap, American colonials and sure snaps that look like were used for digging posts but these seem to usually be in great condition...
Attachments
8EF5618D-B747-450E-8216-D6F09A6B5F9C.jpeg
8EF5618D-B747-450E-8216-D6F09A6B5F9C.jpeg (75.77 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Am I imagining that?
I’ve come across a many used ones. I found on that had fake ivory colored handles with the MF/FM butterfly stamp and it was pretty rusted and torn up. But yes many are in good shape. It’s becaise the continued to make these for many years.
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

All of the ones I have are in new condition. I think some of these were found in storage in Italy a few years ago. I bought 4 from an online dealer selling them cheap because he described them as defects due the blade sometimes bouncing back which is typical for these. The first one I had in the early 1980s did that. Some knives due seem less common in used condition. Try to find a Boker lever lock that has been used!