RARE, 9” horn handled early “Rizzuto”

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
orangeboy

RARE, 9” horn handled early “Rizzuto”

Post by orangeboy »

Thiis one is quite possibly the oldest and rarest “Rizzuto” ever found. It has really horn handles and is stamped INOX. It’s possibly Italian made before the cheapie Japanese models. This model also features the indented lock back release mechanism.

Dead mint condition in the original box.
Attachments
4376B259-9ECB-48ED-B4CB-F1B45C323196.jpeg
4376B259-9ECB-48ED-B4CB-F1B45C323196.jpeg (154.1 KiB) Viewed 3423 times
B0A4E2B1-FA18-4608-A666-E5201E5A7C44.jpeg
B0A4E2B1-FA18-4608-A666-E5201E5A7C44.jpeg (130.64 KiB) Viewed 3423 times
B99D8BDE-18B7-43DF-BC99-B08615D4C1EC.jpeg
B99D8BDE-18B7-43DF-BC99-B08615D4C1EC.jpeg (151.65 KiB) Viewed 3423 times
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: RARE, 9” horn handled early “Rizzuto”

Post by natcherly »

Does the box provide any info such as the brand name, "Rizzuto"? That is such a odd name, sorry Phil, that I always thought it was an attempt to provide an Italian provenance to an Asian product. Kinda like "Milano".
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

natcherly wrote:Does the box provide any info such as the brand name, "Rizzuto"? That is such a odd name, sorry Phil, that I always thought it was an attempt to provide an Italian provenance to an Asian product. Kinda like "Milano".
No nothing
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

In any case, that is a great looking knife. If they looked like that when I was in Mexico some years back, I would have bought one.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Absolute beauty. 8)

Are the bolsters/button nickle on this ,and is the build quality the same as the 60s italian swinguards ?

I love the look and iconic form of the japanese Rizzuttos but to have a quality one like that would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks for the look at another rare knife .

gravknife
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

This knife is exactly the same as the ones marked "Bull."
It's Japanese. They are pretty good quality. I have owned quite a few of these and repaired many more.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Bill DeShivs wrote:This knife is exactly the same as the ones marked "Bull."
It's Japanese. They are pretty good quality. I have owned quite a few of these and repaired many more.
Never has a Japanese model been seen marked INOX. And never with authentic horn handles. This also has”D”
stamped liners and all nickel silver hardware and it doesn’t have the bail. So exactly the same- no. This was found in Sicily from the original owner.

Years ago it was you yourself, who used to tell everyone they were Italian. Did you find documents or information to make you change your stance?

It’s certainly possible this was the ones that the Japanese models were copied from.

I know nothing about these but I know everyone keeps flip flopping as to where they think they were made.
Last edited by orangeboy on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

As I said- these are EXACTLY the same as the Japanese marked ones. They have nickel silver hardware, "D" stamps. I owned one when I was 15 years old.
I used to think they were Italian. I wanted to think they are Italian, but they are Japanese. The Japanese have never copied a knife accurately as these would have had to have been copied. Knives can be ordered marked any way the buyer wants them marked.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Bill DeShivs wrote:As I said- these are EXACTLY the same as the Japanese marked ones. They have nickel silver hardware, "D" stamps. I owned one when I was 15 years old.
I used to think they were Italian. I wanted to think they are Italian, but they are Japanese. The Japanese have never copied a knife accurately as these would have had to have been copied. Knives can be ordered marked any way the buyer wants them marked.
Show us the exact same construction please.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You'll just have to take my word for it. I don't take pictures of most of my work.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Bill DeShivs wrote:You'll just have to take my word for it. I don't take pictures of most of my work.
Ok, but if we took your word for it years ago we’d all believe they were Italian, right?

I really don’t believe anybody’s word in this hobby when it comes to information because most of it has been wrong proven wrong year after year.

There was a recent thread on the Sharperdeals forum
and no one could come up with one of these with D stamped liners except this one.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

All of that model had D stamped liners. They also had a wire spring under the rear scale to power the back lock.
We live and learn. I have learned they are Japanese. I have seen them on the inside and outside.
Argue with someone else, please.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Bill DeShivs wrote:All of that model had D stamped liners. They also had a wire spring under the rear scale to power the back lock.
We live and learn. I have learned they are Japanese. I have seen them on the inside and outside.
Argue with someone else, please.
All of them are? Let’s ask JBrown what he thinks about all of them being D stamped. I doubt they all were. Go look at the thread on Sharperdeals. Not one had D liners.

How did you learn they were Japanese? Educate us or is it a secret? I’m not arguing Mr DuhShives, just trying to learn from people who know everything.

I showed this one to the author Neal Punchard and he collects the Japanese models and has tons and ton and he said he thought it was the earliest one ever seen and possibly Italian because of the stamp and horn handles and the FLAT kickspring.

I would recommend everyone doing research before having “experts” tell them to take their word for itand tell us what to know exactly what is this or that.

Mr. Duh-Siz, didn’t you used to go around telling everyone on that “Coltello a scatto” meant “shit knife” and that Italian switchblades were referred to as “shit knives.” Are we suppose to believe that too??

Coltello a scatto means a spring release knife in Italian. Not shit knife.
Last edited by orangeboy on Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I will state that all of THAT model have D stamps, flat kicksprings, and a separate backspring spring under the rear scale.
I'm quite sure Autoknife can back me up on that.
That's all I'm saying on this thread-as it's obvious you are trying to start trouble.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Bill DeShivs wrote:I will state that all of THAT model have D stamps, flat kicksprings, and a separate backspring spring under the rear scale.
I'm quite sure Autoknife can back me up on that.
That's all I'm saying on this thread-as it's obvious you are trying to start trouble.
For the third time, did you refer to the thread on Sharperdeals where all the others had square cut outs
not D shaped?

I suppose I should just believe your word and take it as gospel truth when, that thread on Sharperdeals showed that the others had squareish cut outs and not D shaded cut outs.

I say JBrown should be asked too, he can shed some light on the subject.

I don’t know anything about these, not so I care, I’m just trying to learn- from PROOF, not someone’s “word.”