Humpbacks pulled from ebay

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
orangeboy

Re: Humpbacks pulled from ebay

Post by orangeboy »

Hey guys! Do your research first...and ask around before you judge. Doesn't matter how long you have collected...the internet changed the game. Heck I'm going to be 50 this year and I had my first switchblade at age 7.

The knives in these pictures have come from Italy and obscure auction sites in the USA and even Argentina and three of these have the exact same stamp as the knife in question...

The official Led Zeppelin music site has an "Ask Steve Jones" question and answer thread for solving mysteries...perhaps this place needs something like that with a guy who can answer most things, with real facts.

Even a “Master” can pull up a seat and learn a thing or two or a billion....
Attachments
IMG_1584.JPG
IMG_1584.JPG (66.37 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
IMG_1514.JPG
IMG_1514.JPG (109.08 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
Humpback_Open.JPG
Humpback_Open.JPG (349.38 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
Humpback HUGE group.JPG
Humpback HUGE group.JPG (121.92 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
Last edited by orangeboy on Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:03 am, edited 6 times in total.
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Yes, it does. That was the first thing that caught my eye. The shape is wrong and it looks drum-polished like modern blades.
Good observation, but maybe it's because it was sharpened and short and cleaned?
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

orangeboy wrote:
Bill DeShivs wrote:Yes, it does. That was the first thing that caught my eye. The shape is wrong and it looks drum-polished like modern blades.
Good observation, but maybe it's because it was sharpened and short and cleaned?
I can't say for sure without seeing the knife, but the stamp appears deeper than on any of the 1960s knives I own, and I just got them out for comparison.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Panzerfaust wrote:
orangeboy wrote:
I can't say for sure without seeing the knife, but the stamp appears deeper than on any of the 1960s knives I own, and I just got them out for comparison.
Three of those others have the same stamp
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Corvus wrote:FWIW, I personally consider Bill to be a leading authority on Italian stilettos. I've learned more about these knives from his extremely knowledgeable, pull-no-punches posts on the various forums than from any other source. In fact, Bill's opinions have had a major influence on my entry into Italian knife collecting. I bought my first picklock based on his input.

Thanks, Mr. DeShivs. 8)
Mickey is a great guy, I thought we were friends; it would be nice to see the real Mickey as a regular normal nice guy rather than the Internet persona “Bill DeShivs.”
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

orangeboy wrote:
Panzerfaust wrote:
orangeboy wrote:
Three of those others have the same stamp

Yes, but the stamp is deeper on the first one. Here is a Hoffritz manual humpback with bayo blade that I bought for 15 bucks at a gun show. Am I in it too deep?
Attachments
Hoffritz.JPG
Hoffritz.JPG (276.6 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Just picked up another false-button humpback (2nd from right) I like these knives...
Attachments
IMG_1578.jpg
IMG_1578.jpg (53.16 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

portlandmike wrote:Just picked up another false-button humpback (2nd from right) I like these knives...
Those aren’t humpbacks. Those are lockback models patented by Angelo Campolin Sr in 1961.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

portlandmike wrote:Just picked up another false-button humpback (2nd from right) I like these knives...
Hey Portland Mike, here are two rare and matching (the 8” and 11” have identical tang stamps both front and back) automatic lockback models that were designed by Angelo Campolin Sr in 1961.

A few years ago I discovered the patent for these. In 1961 Angelo Campolin Sr. designed these and submitted his design for a patent. Even the Campolin family didn’t know their grandfather designed this lockback mechanism. Grandpa must have been a humble master craftsman.
Attachments
E62C8E29-1587-4963-8437-4B002B61AFAE.jpeg
E62C8E29-1587-4963-8437-4B002B61AFAE.jpeg (83.35 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Italia ... SwhUpcab6T

Definitely a sharpened and short and overcleaned blade.