False button?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
portlandmike

False button?

Post by portlandmike »

Picked up this 11 inch knife online. Pretty sure it is just a false button but it kind of looks like it has a broken spring, the button moves and has a hole through the liner. No way to lock closed though... the stamp says stainless steel in English (script) ... my question is could this be converted into a switchblade?
Attachments
C746F046-A0CB-4BDB-AD95-BD3C16A070DE.jpeg
C746F046-A0CB-4BDB-AD95-BD3C16A070DE.jpeg (129.03 KiB) Viewed 3038 times
F7692A5B-CB91-4558-A31C-0913F7C887D1.jpeg
F7692A5B-CB91-4558-A31C-0913F7C887D1.jpeg (130.21 KiB) Viewed 3038 times
4E7F9972-EFA2-4EA2-A368-D89B0C0BDCB4.jpeg
4E7F9972-EFA2-4EA2-A368-D89B0C0BDCB4.jpeg (83.14 KiB) Viewed 3038 times
6BA73FF3-D13B-4DEC-B573-748D984440B9.jpeg
6BA73FF3-D13B-4DEC-B573-748D984440B9.jpeg (103.74 KiB) Viewed 3038 times
TRYKER

Re: False button?

Post by TRYKER »

i'd say it's a false button cause of lack of lock.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I'm sure it could be converted, almost anything is possible.
2024 candidate for president
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Looks like a humpback. To close you press the hump connected to a lever that pivots around the pin at the back and that action releases the lock tab. A lot if not all of the automatic versions were coil spring fired, so a broken spring would not be visible. The hole under the button probably doesn't mean anything in that even if it were an automatic knife, there is nothing going through the hole that would affect the operating mechanism. As for converting, no doubt it could be done but probably cost way more than just buying an original auto. Good luck!
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

I guess what I was thinking was… I have seen a lot of JimBrown (JTK) conversion’s online (was even lucky enough to buy one) and I thought this would be a great platform… Jeremy, is this feasible or just dumb?

Mike
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Sure that could be converted. Just turn the small spring that pushes on the lock into a full length kickspring (like in a swinger). You would definitely want to keep that front scale so you'd make a long rocker for it with a button that came through the existing hole in the scale.

But before you do anything, take a survey on what people think of that knife. If people consider it to be just a manual, then have at it. But if the false-button makes it something special, then it should be left like that.
Attachments
IMG_0387 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0387 - Copy.JPG (172.27 KiB) Viewed 3008 times
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

I tried hard to buy that first shellpuller when it came up for sale recently (or one very much like it). I hadn’t considered the knife might be worth something on its own. It does seem unusual but having no method to lock when closed I’m pretty sure it could only be a manual.

Anybody else have an opinion on the knife as it stands ?

Mike
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Your knife doesn't lock closed. The button is just a button (no rocker or sear) on a little compression spring. To make it an auto, you would take the scale off, carve out an area for a rocker, then make a rocker with sear, attach it to a base on the liner and put the button on the end of the rocker. Then the blade would be held closed unless you pressed the button.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The knife is a manual, and always has been.
You could buy a new auto for less than it would cost to convert it.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Bill DeShivs wrote: You could buy a new auto for less than it would cost to convert it.
Yes, that is sound advise but I am at the point where I could spend another $14 on a chinese clone or $250 on a "new" Latama... both of which I have done already.. but a deshiv restoration or JTK custom knife... I think is well worth the extra money for a one of a kind, truly custom piece...

Mike
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Just wanted to make sure you knew.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

thank you, your opinion is always appreciated ... might I take this time to ask how the S.M. Co restoration is proceeding?

MIke
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's done, except for a little laser welding on the sear hole. Unfortunately the laser welder is down for repairs. As soon as it's back up or replaced, I'll finish it up.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Do you think the false button on that lockback elevates its collectible status?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I think the 1960s knives are what they are- the closest thing to switchblades you could get. At some point, they may be collectible.