False button?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: False button?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

One more time Charley-
It's your choice.
You're full of love and respect.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Ban me...I’ve been selling off my entire collection anyway. I’ve found something better in my life than I ever have had before.

Have a nice life....
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I sincerely apologize for the ridiculous thread drift, guys.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Panzerfaust wrote: slipjoint
Yes that is the term I couldn't put my finger on, or my brain to recall. Senior moment???

And I agree with your opinion that these knives should be left alone.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

You guys are right and I won’t have it converted (not sure I could afford that anyway). I would like to clean it up though, this thing is really dirty. Any tips for cleaning the bolsters and horn without changing the patina too much?
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Yeah, I think it would be best to leave that one. If you do ever want a auto with a clip-point and lockback, just find a normal no-button one and have that one converted. Be careful, though, as a lot of those false-button stilettos are Japanese knives that are far inferior to the Italian ones like yours.

Also, you want to be sure the knife is not a slipjoint like those two Italian ones in this thread. You want to be sure it is a locking one like yours.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

good info to keep in mind... Thanks, Mike
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

JimBrown257 wrote:Yeah, I think it would be best to leave that one. If you do ever want a auto with a clip-point and lockback, just find a normal no-button one and have that one converted.
Now that you mention it, I do have this just sitting around ...
Attachments
1DA356E1-DBBD-4977-9BC6-58E8C9229A50.jpeg
1DA356E1-DBBD-4977-9BC6-58E8C9229A50.jpeg (138.56 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
1E215D31-13A7-4631-8FB6-B23743C695CE.jpeg
1E215D31-13A7-4631-8FB6-B23743C695CE.jpeg (154.15 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

That would make for a fine conversion but I would recommend just looking for a MII stamp picklock, they aren't too hard to find. And a vintage manual picklock is even more rare than your lockback so it isn't one you'd want to mess with. The ones you would have converted are normally newer knives that don't have the collectible value and are things that you couldn't get an auto version. The Buck 110, for example, was one that was converted because people wanted an auto version but there was no production one. Of course, now there is an auto version.

Another one people get converted in the Shcrade Dirk. It's a new cheaper easy to find knife and converting it is the only way to get an auto like that.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Gotcha... thanks again
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

That's a late-1950s manual picklock that is probably less common than an auto picklock. Nice knife!
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

That's a really nice old knife and as the old saying goes they don't make them like that anymore. To bad they don't.
2024 candidate for president
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Kinda funny, I got that in a gun deal about two years ago. Was buying a .20 gauge and a .45 so when I spotted that knife in the guys big bin o’ knives he just threw it in.., I didn’t even think of it until Jeremy said something.... glad you guys like it !

Mike
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

portlandmike wrote:Kinda funny, I got that in a gun deal about two years ago. Was buying a .20 gauge and a .45 so when I spotted that knife in the guys big bin o’ knives he just threw it in.., I didn’t even think of it until Jeremy said something.... glad you guys like it !

Mike
It's a desirable knife and although not worth as much as a 1950s auto picklock, it's still a collectable knife that probably was not made for more than two or three years before the lockback was made.