Wandy switch blade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Lucentcrow

Wandy switch blade

Post by Lucentcrow »

Hello, I live in England and I just bought a stag antler wandy 9” long, just wanted to know more about it really is there any more news on wandy, why did Mauro mario use so many different stamps etc
sammy the blade

Re: Wandy switch blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Welcome to the forum. Someone will be along that will help you out with it, stay tuned.
2024 candidate for president
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Hi Lucentcrow

I believe Wandy was an importers name for Mauro Mario switchblades.
Somebody may give you more detailed information later.

They are usually very nice sought after knives.
Try and post a picture by attatching files from your phone photos ,downloads albums etc or computer files using the add files feature.
They have to be 999kb or less or it will say file too large

Always good to see a fellow Brit so welcome.

gravknife
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Welcome Lucentcrow. From my reading of the Switchblades of Italy book, Mauro Mario was responsible for about 50% of all the switchblades produced in the 1950's and at their peak, they produced 100,000 knives in a year. If a customer/importer ordered enough, they could have them stamped anyway they wanted. This reading lead me, likely mistakenly, to I.D. any "generic" and geographical stamp of the 50's picklocks as being Mauro Mario made because they produced so many. Again, I'm likely mistaken about the actual maker, but sure have a good shot at the guess lol!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Lucentcrow

Post by Lucentcrow »

Thanks very much everyone, I’ve been trying to work out how to post photos ha ha I’ll get my mrs to help,
Lucentcrow

Post by Lucentcrow »

gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Lucentrow

That looks a beauty. 8)
Swedge blade, short throw safety and really nice stag.
It will have the D cutout on the top liner and the swivel bolster will be lined in brass.

Its a transitional knife from the 1960s and well sought after.

Is this your first knife?
I suggest you buy a copy of" switchblades of italy" ....it will serve you well as a first book and has great pictures of knives and makers ,plus some history info.

gravknife
Lucentcrow

Post by Lucentcrow »

Lucentcrow

Post by Lucentcrow »

Hi gravknife I just read it great book, It’s my first switchblade my oldest brother had one and I always wanted one, it’s a real nice knife but now I’m bitten by the bug ha ha, I’m trying to send more photos but taking ages to download.
Lucentcrow

Post by Lucentcrow »

Lucentcrow

Post by Lucentcrow »

gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Nice knife 8)

Thanks for posting the pictures ,they will always help people here when you need help or maybe need to fix a knife etc.

The knife is slightly oversharpened but remember its from the 60s or 70s and many were.Its still a great knife to kick off your hobby though.

A true transitional with the D stamped liners ,Brass lined top bolster,nicklesilver bolsters and short throw safety .
Realky nice stag aswell .

Glad you have the SOI book and welcome to a crazy hobby that I should really advise you to turn away from.
Arguements with the Mrs and an empty bank account are just a few of the problems you can face. :)

Trouble is mate its highly addictive and hard to stop and I am about 60 maybe 70 knives in.

If you need any advice or help you can pm me.
The people here are a great lot who will help you aswell .

Good to meet you .

gravknife.
Lucentcrow

Post by Lucentcrow »

Ah cheers mate yeah I’m a collector of many things always knifes and swords, and woodworking handtools and machinery ha ha just a few questions
Where would I find dealers etc in England I get funny looks when I mention flick knife or switchblades
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Its a touchy one with switchblades mate here in the UK.
There are no dealers unfortunately but I will try and give you some options and some warnings that come with them .
I have sent you a Private Message you have to press the envelope at the top of your page .
Iill send you another soon.