gaps between liners?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sammy da blade

gaps between liners?

Post by sammy da blade »

just wondering what causes some stiletto's to get the gaps between the spine and brass liners. anyone got a clue?
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
omega

Post by omega »

Sammy!

If its a Jndiana knife, those gaps are there so you can blow the dirt out of them with compressed air, LOL! Ok.....sorry.

I really don't know how to fix them. Wait for Mr. Bill DeShivs to come along. He will know for sure.

I can usually tell you why, but seldom how to fix them.

Scale materials like stag that are slightly bowed, natural horn scales that change slightly as they "dry," banging the hell out of pins during assembly can all cause liner gap due to bending of the brass liners. Every time I've tried to fix liner gap, something else goes all wonky.

If its a really nice knife, I would send it out to one of our resident manglers for rehab. If it's a $30 - $50 knife, consider it a buying lesson or return it to the source if its not too late to do so.

If you wait until Mr. DeShivs surfaces, he will probably have a much better answer than mine.

BTW, Mr. Waya did a superb rehab on a 28cm Jndiana swinger of mine some time ago. Where is that man??? Hope the wolves didn't eat him!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

All I can think of is gently peening to see if it helps.
PB
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The button mechanism puts constant stress on the button-side liner. If the button side scale happens to warp in the same direction, you can have quite a large gap. Plus, the backspring thins in the area towards the lock tab. It is actually thinner than the blade at this point.
If the blade pivot and backspring pins are peened tight and the gaps are there, there isn't much that can be done without a complete rebuild.
This is why I like to use Micarta or Frostwood-type scales on Italian knives. They can actually keep the liner from bowing. Thicker liners can help to a degree.
Bill
omega

Post by omega »

Bill DeShivs wrote: ....This is why I like to use Micarta or Frostwood-type scales on Italian knives. They can actually keep the liner from bowing. Thicker liners can help to a degree.....Bill
See....I knew bill would know!

Question: Do you think the factory "frostwood" scales are better from the standpoint of keeping the liners from bowing? Or are they in fact made of something else?

I know some of the stuff being used with a "wood" name, is in fact a plastic - stamina wood, or as Stu calls it "stegosauris wood" as an example.

Thoughts, Mr. Bill?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I have no personal experience with the factory Frostwood, but if it is the same as Pakkawood, etc., the material should be very stable. I do believe it is the same.
These are thin strips of wood laminated with epoxy-the same as Micarta. They can be dyed before laminating.
Bill
omega

Post by omega »

Thanks Bill!

I've stayed away from some of the "woods" due to the asthetics, but will now have to rethink that.

Cheers!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I think the blue Frostwood is beautiful, though not traditional.
Bill
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

I think some of the solid color frostwood is pretty nice too.
When I look at what Tiny has in stock, I always consider the blue or green frostwood.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Bill DeShivs wrote:I have no personal experience with the factory Frostwood, but if it is the same as Pakkawood, etc., the material should be very stable. I do believe it is the same.
These are thin strips of wood laminated with epoxy-the same as Micarta. They can be dyed before laminating.
Bill
I believe frostwood, pakkawood, diamondwood, and "parkerwood" [quess who used that?] are all more or less the same thing.
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

Why are those laminated woods usually so garish?
The solid colorsare very nice, and the material is sturdy as heck.
I once knew a Virginia cop who had an espantoon(a Baltomoronese word for a nightstick) made of some unknown tropical wood-salvaged from a Brazilian packing crate,a wood so heavy it wouldn't float(wasn't lingam vitae,either) laminated with strips of holly.
Might as well have been an iron gas-pipe.
But I digress.
The multi color laminates look cheap to me, even though I love the swirl plastic scales(the yellow and black ones make me tingle,don't know why).
What do I know?
Life has no value, but death has it's price
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Pushbutton-

Isn't- 'gently peening' what got you into trouble to start with ? That's what comes up first on your internet search for deviates record.

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse

P.S. New and improved 'Big Slight' well under way in the dungeon laboratory. Heh, heh, heh,....