No bottom bolsters?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kugr

No bottom bolsters?

Post by kugr »

I've not seen a stiletto without bottom bolsters, can someone share some knowledge about this...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rare-7 ... rk:12:pf:0
Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: No bottom bolsters?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Some were made that way. Knife is legitimate.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
kugr

Post by kugr »

Thank you Bill. That is an interesting fact. I had never seen one till today, let alone that a bolsterless bottom was an option.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Search Frosolone and you should find quite a few. There have even been some recently produced...http://www.agacampolin.com/frosolone.html
Oldreb

Post by Oldreb »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Some were made that way. Knife is legitimate.
Bill, a repair question or two if you will -- The blade is obviously heavily sharpened and short so nothing to be done about that but I was wondering if the high blade peaking can be corrected ? I also noticed that when the blade is in the closed position that the lock tab is raised - what is this an indicator of and can it be corrected ? It has rounded guards and has a "D" cut out - 1950's knife ???

Thanks
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

if the high blade peaking can be corrected ? I also noticed that when the blade is in the closed position that the lock tab is raised - what is this an indicator of and can it be corrected ?
Look at the sear hole on the blade, you can see some stretching on the outside. That is most of the peek right there. Some hammering should fix it.

As for the knife: it's not a Frosolone by any means; it is just a bolsterless picklock....right? But it has a fully drilled hole and steel pins like a Frosolone. What is the deal with that? Did they want it to be more like an old Frosolone?

One other thing anyone interested in it should be aware of is that the seller says the spring is broken and it still has that much peek. I think the top of the spring is wedged in there at a weird angle as it is pushing out the backspring. But if it has that much peek with a broken spring, it will probably have a ton with a working spring. It might not even stay closed.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

There were stilettos made in Frosolone. This one has traits that point to manufacture there.
The "broken spring" remark may be there to keep the knife from being pulled by Ebay. There is some sort of spring in there. It's probable that someone tried bending the spring-causing the backspring lift.
The point is raised from sharpening, the sear hole is worn, and the sear is worn. All 3 of these problem will probably have to be addressed to fix the blade peek.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

If you look at the last pic you can see the top part of the spring is not there.

As for the stamp and non-flat guards, that means it's a later knife, right?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Later than the flat guards, yes.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

And when do would you guess the ones like that Ebay one were made?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

They are 1950s knives.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

AAArrrggghhhh... I was the high bidder an hour before the end of the auction... and then eBay pulled it... damn.

Mike
kugr

Post by kugr »

They pulled alot tonight....
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I had a few things listed and all of them got pulled one hour before the end of the auctions. None of them were autos.

Did anyone notice how high that Frosolone MII went before it got pulled?
kugr

Post by kugr »

Oooo, 200 ish I think, portlandmike will know for sure. Let me guess, they got pulled because of the name/title?