Springer/gun

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Panzerfaust

Re: Springer/gun

Post by Panzerfaust »

I am in complete agreement with Bill. I doubt something like this which is nothing more than a novelty item is going to be a priority for BATFE, unless the person who has it has a prior criminal history, but unlike the Federal Switchblade Act, gun laws are often enforced ruthlessly. I do wonder if most, if not all of these knives are registered under NFA if imported legally after 1934, and they just ended up on the market after the original owner died. If a person who owned one died, the heirs might not realize it was an NFA item. I read on a P38 pistol forum a while back of a collector who bought two MP40s from the widow of a World War II officer who had brought them back from the war. When he asked her to look for papers, she found paperwork that revealed he brought them back legally and that they were registered.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

My Dad has a P38 that his Father brought back that's been sitting in my Dad's gun cabinet since I was a little boy. Original leather and all. I have NO idea what I'm going to do with that thing once I inevitably end up having to deal with it. I'm sure there's not one sheet of paperwork. I'm sorry to intrude on this thread, just made me think of it.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If any were imported legally and registered, they would have to have serial numbers.

Jules- A P38 is just a handgun. Unless you live in one of the states like CA or NJ, you can probably simply sell it.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
wicollector

Post by wicollector »

when is the last time you read anybody getting 10 years for a single shot smooth bore knife gun ? as I said why didn't Jerry get busted then ? the dragged them to shows for 20 years with no issue I've ever heard about . I'm not a lawyer nor do I give legal advice like you do but I still doubt anybody would toss a collector in jail for having one of these without other issues they would have no reason to even know you have one .
wicollector

Post by wicollector »

I know lots of old timers who brought automatic weapons back from the war a friend told me his Dad cut his M2 carbine in haft and stuck it down his pants leg on his way back from Korea then spliced the stock back together upon arriving home . lots of this kind of stuff around probably more than the legal ones that people live there whole life without anybody ever knowing about or causing trouble with . it not for me to judge anybody or what they own or collect
kugr

Post by kugr »

Dont forget the $250k fine along with the 10 years... sadly some dumb@$$ will get away with buying it.
Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'm not judging- I just don't want to see anyone get in trouble. I think they are cool collectibles. A far as giving legal advice, saying "don't break the law" is pretty sound advice, don't you think?

Saying that someone is a fool for offering an illegal NFA weapon on an Internet gun site is not judging-it's stating fact.

There is actually a method for registering them, but it requires paying a $200 tax and engraving a SN and the maker's name, city, and state. You would have to remove the barrel, dispose of it and make or acquire another after approval.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
wicollector

Post by wicollector »

I guess we both have our own opinions on the subject . I repaired many gun knives for a collector in Alabama you know him nicest guy in the world as was jerry I still dont think anybody has any worries about having one in a collection even if there illegal so long as you dont cause trouble there no reason anybody would have to bother you about it . an old guy I know in Wisconsin who sells guns and knives at the shows got into trouble selling to many guns without a ffl got raided by the ATF and they found a Sten MKII machine gun and he still selling guns and knives although I doubt he got to keep the Sten
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Sure no one wants anyone else to get in trouble but, um...and what about the obvious...everyone has been collecting switchblades openly forever even LEOs...despite any laws.
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Switchblade laws are notoriously hard to prosecute. Who enforces them? Customs does at the border, who enforces the state lines restrictions?
Gun laws, on the other hand, are not something you want to mess with. There is one federal agency that enforces them, and they are more unpredictable (and dangerous) than a rattlesnake. No one really cares about knives now, but the general policy at BATF is that they really don't like individuals owning guns. And the item we are discussing is a gun-a modern firearm chambered for readily available ammunition. It is a disguised gun, regulated under the National Firearms Act of 1934. It's being offered for sale across state lines. The ATF can be real assholes. I know- I had a federal firearms license for about 20 years.

And there was a time, before your time, that switchblade laws were vigorously enforced if you imported them in quantity. I was used as an expert witness in a couple of those that resulted in jail time. You don't know how good you have it today.