Springer/gun

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Panzerfaust

Springer/gun

Post by Panzerfaust »

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Springer/gun

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Very nice example. Interesting that it's marked "Erma."
The seller is a fool. Regardless what he "thinks," he's making up his facts.
The gun/knife is much newer than he claims, and it is an NFA weapon-an unregistered one. He could get 10 years in the federal pen for possessing it, much less selling it across state lines.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

I noticed the auction states no FFL required and the only way that could be the case is if it was made in 1898 or before. I know BATFE has exempted a few things from NFA such as broomhandle Mausers with shoulder stocks and also artillery Lugers that have stocks, but this knife has not has not been removed from NFA as far as I know. Too bad there is no way to own it legally. Do you have any idea when these were made? If it had been legally imported after 1934, NFA registration would have been required by the importer.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Even if it were pre-1898, it would still be an NFA regulated weapon.
I suspect these are pre WW2, but the Japanese versions have to be post WW2. I just wonder where the market was that these could be sold legally.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Even if it were pre-1898, it would still be an NFA regulated weapon.
I suspect these are pre WW2, but the Japanese versions have to be post WW2. I just wonder where the market was that these could be sold legally.
I have wondered that too. I think the transfer tax on these is $5 because it's classified as "Any Other Weapon." Not sure if that was the case years ago. It doesn't seem like there would have been much of a market for these because of the registration requirements, but I think Bazar was an American importer so if that is the case, I doubt they were imported illegally.
kugr

Post by kugr »

It has to be on a form 4 for transfers. If he registers it now, he can truly sell it in a year or so, then it all has to go through class 3 dealers. That guy is a dumbass...
Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

kugr wrote:It has to be on a form 4 for transfers. If he registers it now, he can truly sell it in a year or so, then it all has to go through class 3 dealers. That guy is a dumbass...
If it's not already registered in NFA, he can't register it. His only legal options are surrendering it or destroying the part of it that is a firearm.
kugr

Post by kugr »

Oh true, forgot about the 1986 registrations.
Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If Bazar was an American importer, the Japanese-made ones couldn't have been imported. The Japanese didn't make German-style cutlery until after WW2.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

So when was it made?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'm going to guess it was made prior to WW2. Possibly prior to 1934.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I see these little novelty guns on the pawn store shows sometimes. I've never really thought about it before but what do they do about the license and registrations of these kind of things?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If not previously registered and federal tax paid, they can not be registered. They are contraband on the federal level.
wicollector

Post by wicollector »

very cool I know many collectors that own these even Jerry Skelton sold them at shows and listed them in his catalogs and I dont believe anybody ever did anything about it .
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

As do I.
But, what if they WANTED to do something about it? The gun laws are very plainly written and are enforced by BATF, who have absolutely no sense of humor. 10 years is quite a stretch and, while you might get out of it, doing so will cost you a fortune.
They just don't hang out at knife shows very much.