Rizutto repair experts, looking for some knowledge...

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kugr

Re: Rizutto repair experts, looking for some knowledge...

Post by kugr »

I would like to thanks to jimbrown for sending me some starter materials, they have come in quite handy...

Just a quick question, I epoxied my bolsters in place, but i don't like the way it looks... would any of you suggest soldering them on?
Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

I have only been here for a few months but I have already seen numerous references to the generosity and just plain kindness of Jeremy (Jimbrown). He is also a hell of a knife maker and I was lucky enough to recently add one of his custom knives to my collection. It would be a pleasure to get to shake his hand one day.

Mike
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Soldering is the way to go.
You'll have to use Stay Clean flux and silver-bearing solder if you are soldering stainless.
All the soldered areas should be filed to bright metal.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
kugr

Post by kugr »

Ok, excellent, I'll have to pick up some flux... thank you Mr. Bill.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

With soldering the bolsters on a Rizzuto. The first thing you want to try is the reuse the existing solder. That usually works if you are careful. If you need more, use this stuff:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11000-SBSK-Har ... :rk:1:pf:0

Used properly, you can get it to hold as well as non-stainless steel.

If you are replacing a rocker, unsolder the top front bolster (DON'T try to pull it off) and leave it off until you are all done.
kugr

Post by kugr »

You know... I wish I had asked about soldering before... haha, the original solder is long gone...

Follow up- torch is probably easier than trying to get the iron tip down that tiny a$$ space... correct?
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Lol, yes; use a torch. For the soldering, just use the small Butane one that they sell by the soldering stuff. For treating the rocker, you will need a bigger one. Get the largest size torch (yellow button) that comes with a tank of map gas. It is usually around $45-$50.

And in the future, you should leave that remaining solder on the liner. Even if you need more solder, the stuff that is still there makes a nice base to help keep the bolster right where it needs to be.
kugr

Post by kugr »

Luckily, I have all the mapp covered... stockpiled them for some odd reason... I started this repair as a challenge, also to see how cheaply it was made, and functionality of it... same reason I starting building custom AR's.
I digress, few more things to get in... local hardware doesnt carry stay clean flux, ordered it. It's going slow, but I am progressing.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I would make sure you have the rocker finished before even worrying about the bolsters. That is the hardest part (by far) and unless you get that right, none of the other stuff matters.
kugr

Post by kugr »

Yep.... I'm on the 4th attempt, I'm getting closer to it being right though... trial and error... its how I learn the most. The bolster part popped into my head while fartin around with the other pieces...
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

What was wrong with the first three rockers?
kugr

Post by kugr »

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Make one that fits the sear hole and is the right shape.
Put it in between the tabs, and mark the hole with a Sharpie-through the holes in the tabs.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
kugr

Post by kugr »

I thought that's what I did on the bottom one, I'm 99% sure I shifted it when turning the liner to the side to mark it... operator error... when I realized I messed it up, I started over on a new one. No point in trying to fix/alter it.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Keep at it and you will get it right. But before you make another rocker, get the hole on the blade dealt with. You are going to want to do some combination of hammering and filing to make that hole not ramped on the inside like it is now (I don't think you need to plug/redrill that hole). Once you've done that, you might want to expand the hole on the liner so the sear keeps the blade closed all the way. Normally, you wouldn't want to do something like that but because you are making a new sear, it won't be a problem.

So right now, don't worry about the rocker. Get the blade hole fixed up, then but the liners & backspring together with the brass pins, attach the blade (make sure the pivot has no slack when it goes through the blade) and see how well the blade hole and liner holes match up. Once you are sure the sear will hold the blade where you want it to, you can do the rocker.