Swinguard storage

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
monstro

Swinguard storage

Post by monstro »

Is it safe to store an 11 inch swinguard clsoed, or should i leave the blade open? (spring durability)

Thanks
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Re: Swinguard storage

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

I keep all my switchblade's open,but that is just me ,some say it will not make any difference.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It doesn't matter.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
wicollector

Post by wicollector »

I store mine in a knife roll closed because I'm able to repair them but I've had a few springs brake on knives sitting closed that I hadn't opened for days. would the springs have still broken someday with use probably yes but not while being storied opened with no load on the spring .
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If you never close your knife, the spring can't break.
But, the knives were meant to be closed.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
wicollector

Post by wicollector »

the question was how to store them in the best way to prevent stress on the spring wasn't it ? pretty safe to assume if its open it cant break . most of these are collectable knives and see very little use in the first place and if you have the space why not store them opened ? sure the knives are meant to be closed but only if you are going to carry them do they have to be not stored or displayed .
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

I've only broken 1 spring out of over a hundred knives, all stored closed. That was on a Rizzy and we know how crappy they were built.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
wicollector

Post by wicollector »

I've had two break closed one 8" Italian black beauty and a French exposed rocker that actually woke me up at night when it happened found out what the noise was the next morning seeing it on my desk with a broken kick spring and it also snapped the back spring off when it failed . more common them breaking while closing them but if its a concern to the owner why not store them open . I've had hundreds of rizzuto's through the last 40 some years and never had one break a spring before must have been lucky I guess ?
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

The only Rizzuto springs that break are the ones in the 10.5" non-step bolsters. Those ones have flat springs that seem to break more often than the typical flat springs. All other Rizzutos have the round music wire springs which rarely, if ever, break.
STAGNUT

!Re: Swinguard storage

Post by STAGNUT »

I always keep my knives closed.never had any break. I have a lot of knives in and out of here
Stagnut