Proposal for a Sub-hilt fighter automatic

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Proposal for a Sub-hilt fighter automatic

Post by ILikeStilettos »

This is a design I really want to see come into reality, but I just don't have the resources to commission it right now. Gulraiz was working on an earlier version, but that fell through and I revisited and tightened up the design. It's a sub-hilt fighter based on a Seal fixed blade, but rendered as a wicked grind automatic.

Exterior view: The knife is 11-3/4" (29,9 CM) long overall by about 1" (2,5 CM) at the pommel, but the 3/4" (19 MM) wide upswept blade is itself 6-3/8" (16,2 CM) long which normally would require a 13-3/4" (35 CM) overall. How is this magic accomplished? Read on!

Exterior view of closed knife: 7-1/4" (18,4 CM) long and about 2-1/16" (5,2 CM) at the guards by a hair over 3/4" (19 MM) thick. Note the spring loaded extension which folds into the handle once the blade is deployed. Exposed rocker and lockback. The lockback is very shallow, only 1/16" (1,5 MM) due to the placement of the midpin.

Exterior views showing the rocker activated to fire the blade. The extension hides completely away except for a little hook used to grab it and fold it out, and thus tension the coil spring that automatically stows it. Can you picture this with a Damascus blade and colorful giraffe bone scales? That's my plan, I might even send it to Bill DeShivs for some engraving on the top bolster. I think the blade shape is really interesting. It's and dagger grind imposed on a bowie profile with and upsweep.

Xray view of the open knife showing the kick spring, lock back mechanism and stowed extension with col spring. Note that the end of the kickspring acts as a positive stop for the extension so that it can't over-rotate and disappear into the blade well.

Xray view of the closed knife. The kicker also tensions the lock back. Note the tail on the end of the blade tang, this keeps kissing the lock tab so that it can't drop down and elevate the tail of the mechanism.

Thanks for having a look at my fantasy.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
ILikeStilettos

Re: Proposal for a Sub-hilt fighter automatic

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Previously I posted a design and then expressed a couple of doubts. First was doubt that anyone would want to take this project on and second was that I would be in a position to fund the project at any time in the near future. I can now say that both of these hurdles have been overcome by JimBrown257 and that Jeremy has again demonstrated not only his insane speed, stellar craftsmanship, and intuitive and perceptive design skills. He built me a better knife than I had designed and a bigger one. He knocked it out of the park with an ease that makes me think that he can do this stuff in his sleep. Finally, the knife is beautiful, incredibly sturdy, hard firing and all for an extremely reasonable price. You know the old joke about, "You can have it fast, or you can have it cheap, or you can have it right. Pick two, or maybe one." With Jeremy, you get all three with a cherry on top. Without further ado, let me show you the elegant monster.

This 12-7/8" (32,7 cm) monster has a 6-3/4" (17,1 cm) blade of 5/32" (4 mm) steel and a 6-1/8" (15,5 cm) handle and weighs in at a hefty 14.7 oz. (417 g.) It snaps like a bear trap and locks up solidly. The blade length corresponds to what you normally see on a 15" (38,1 cm) stiletto. The mechanics are very unusual. It's a fulcrum release sub-hilt fighter and it feels just wonderful in the hand. The wicked look comes from a 3/4" wide (19 mm) blade with a bowie grind.

This is what Jeremy was working from and as shown earlier in this thread. The knife is 11-3/4" (29,8 cm) long overall by about 1" (25 mm) at the pommel, but the 3/4" (19 mm) wide upswept blade is itself 6-3/8" (16,2 cm) long which normally would require a 13-3/4" (35 cm) overall. Note especially that it's a lockback and how the blade cover has a tiny nail nick so that it can be extracted from the blade well.

Closed it's about 8-1/2" (21,5 cm) by 3/4" (19 mm) thick so it's within the realm of easy pocket carry. It's really an 11" (28 cm) stiletto with a 15" (38 cm) blade. It's the same material that my friend, Aaron, used on his switch razor.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26149

I bought it from Nico Bernard, through Jantz in hopes of using it on a Corvette tribute knife, but I released it to Aaron at my cost. Jeremy used the leftovers here. It's green/black stabilized eland bone.

I am honored to have my design brought to life by Jeremy and I believe this stamp will be highly prized in years to come. I'll probably be gone by then, so somebody can say "JTL built this ILS design". The truth of the matter is that the design is as much Jeremy's as mine.

Here's the back view and showing Jeremy's clever integration of a fulcrum release into the top ear of the subhilt bolster.

My design was for a bottomless lockback which means that the kicker spring has to do double duty firing the blade and tensioning the locking mechanism. Jeremy's design incorporates both picklock and fulcrum release elements and simplifies the kicker at the expense of the integrated fulcrum. I wouldn't have asked him to do this, but I grabbed the chance once he suggested it. It fits the situation like a glove and is the kind of thing we engineers call "elegant". It's very intuitive to use and its incorporation in the top ear is nothing short of inspired. I planned to have the blade cover make a positive stop against the tail of the kicker and left a little catch exposed to help extract it from the blade well. Jeremy's solution is better and simpler.

By creating a small cross pin Jeremy has incorporated the positive stop and the extraction function. He kept warning me about smacking my fingers and I didn't really get what he meant.

His blade cover really slams home, to the point that it leaves divots in the liners. Now I understand. When firing or closing the knife the point and a bit of the edge ride the groove in the blade cover and get dulled. This is just unavoidable. If you hold the knife wrong you can occasionally get whacked across the fingernail.

Closeup of the integrated fulcrum release. Boy, this is some elegant work.

Jeremy simplified my design approach. Left is the blade cover extended. Center is the back spring and right is the kickspring, secured by one pin and it's shape against the back spring. The general configuration that I proposed is still there.

Jeremy has contoured that thick top bolster beautifully and it's so comfortable in the hand.

Gorgeous from any angle.

Late in the game I admitted to Jeremy that I had drawn the spear shape on the scales without really knowing how to get there and to do whatever he felt was best. I was worried about the pivot for the blade cover and the limited room for a coil spring. Jeremy again did something simple and logical, he made that massive NS bolster which sort of counterbalances the long blade when it is open. This allowed him to create the shape I wanted with plenty of support for the movable cover. I should have known that he would make a strong spring. I generally prefer bottomless, but his idea is just wonderful and I know that what he did is correct and stunning.

Jeremy is a modest guy who wouldn't say this much about his work. I don't have to be. He is a Master Cutler of the first order and he is helping me move this hobby forward. I want to coax excellent quality knives in to existence, and not the standard bayonet or flat grind Italian stiletto. There's nothing wrong with those and I have no bones to pick with vintage collectors. It's just not me. There are a few of us who want to see this hobby continue to evolve and progress. Jeremy is going to be a key part of that.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Outstanding!
2024 candidate for president
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Elegant and wicked. To see this go from your design to such a well built knife in less than three weeks is truly amazing. Thanks for sharing this project

Mike
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Super idea Dave and really beautifully executed as usual by Jeremy. 8) 8)

Its great to see these designs brought to life like this from computer to build so thanks for sharing this with us.

Another stunning custom to add to your fine collection mate.

Ihope you are keeping well

Ian
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Thank you, Sammy, portlandmike and gravknife. We're doing fine, ian. Thanks for asking.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Super build Jeremy!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

It's pretty cool. The little extender piece doesn't seem like it snaps shut all that hard until you get your finger smacked by it.
lance

Post by lance »

That's a hell of a cool design and a Wicked cool knife as John would say,I've been wondering when Bob and Jeremy would team up and start rockin out some of them sweet looking cad designs.and I would certainly agree That the JTK,stamp will be highly sought after,its Already started..and will only get bigger,as the ils stamp will too
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Sweet!
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

That is very impressive! Any plans to post a video of this big boy in operation, from closed to open and closed again?
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

lance wrote:That's a hell of a cool design and a Wicked cool knife as John would say,I've been wondering when Bob and Jeremy would team up and start rockin out some of them sweet looking cad designs.and I would certainly agree That the JTK,stamp will be highly sought after,its Already started..and will only get bigger,as the ils stamp will too
Bob?
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

I have been holding off on the video because the wife didn't know I had it and I needed her help to shoot a video. I fessed up. It's coming.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

ILikeStilettos wrote:
lance wrote:That's a hell of a cool design and a Wicked cool knife as John would say,I've been wondering when Bob and Jeremy would team up and start rockin out some of them sweet looking cad designs.and I would certainly agree That the JTK,stamp will be highly sought after,its Already started..and will only get bigger,as the ils stamp will too
Bob?
Bob up or Bob down? I was wondering about that too Dave. lol.
2024 candidate for president