My First Stiletto, Inox Swinguard

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Pifficus

My First Stiletto, Inox Swinguard

Post by Pifficus »

Hello all,

So I just traded up to my first stiletto, I have never looked into stilettos before hand but the price on this was way.way to good to pass up. After some quick research I'm guessing its a 60's Inox swinguard 7 inch, It goes off of overall length not blade length if i'm correct? with MOP grips.

Now my question for yall is, I have had a very difficult time finding anything on the Inox swinguards except for a few posts here of some beauties, any random info ya wanna pass along? and rough value. I saw maybe 1 or 2 auctions on the ebays in the 3-360 range but i believe those were 11? inchers.

Now to get lost in the world of stilettos and build the collection. the first opening had me hooked :D

And to add just a little bit more

front

Made in Italy
Inox

Back

Patent
Attachments
stiletto.jpeg
stiletto.jpeg (271.9 KiB) Viewed 2902 times
sprink

Re: My First Stiletto, Inox Swinguard

Post by sprink »

Nice score , that's a good one to kick off the collection
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

That's a cool knife. The handles are actually IMOP but it's still a great knife, it looks like it is in perfect condition too. The prices you see on Ebay are not an accurate reflection of their actual value as people there make insane bids. Until recently, they were almost all removed before the end of the auction so it's kind of hard to actually get the amount that people bid.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Hi Pifficus, and welcome to your new addiction lol. Nice little swinger for your first dive into collecting. As you may very well be aware, INOX means Stainless Steel. I would "guess" that your MOP scales (grips) are most likely white perlex (pearlex)...I naturally could be mistaken and that would be great for you! I think you're correct with a 1960's production. You'll soon learn to ignore (for lack of a better term) eBay prices as they seem to cater to the less educated buyers, though there are deals to be found there. Made in Maniago Italy, to the right buyer, I'd venture another guess at $150 to $250 value. I think it's very nice myself.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Pima Pants

Post by Pima Pants »

The rules here won't permit me to post links, but there are a great number of switchblade enthusiasts at the social media site with the initials FB. Many automatic stiletto enthusiasts pages with buying, selling, trading and discussion of the type of knife you are interested in.
Pifficus

Post by Pifficus »

Thank you for the replies,

Light research I learned that Inox was SS and not a manufacturer, just tried to be as descriptive of what i do know as possible with markings. really just head diving into it.

Definitely going the pearlex route, uhhh the lick test was to smooth.

other quick guestions,

Is there a way to tell who? made it?

and aging. the only thing i've seen different consistently between the 60's and the present is the older ones have the red safety indicator, is there a way to date it?

Edit:

Pima Pants, Appreciated. It's just my personal views because I do love FB for easy connections to friends. but I miss the days where everything was forum based. will still check er out though.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Actually, there are a number of differences between the 60s ones and the modern ones. All the old ones had the swedge blade like yours; the new ones have any kind of blade. The old ones have NS bolster/ guards/button; the new ones have SS. The old ones have D-stamp rockers; the new ones have modern buttons. The main difference, however, is the general quality. While many of the new ones are fine knives, you kind of never know what you're going to get until it is in your hand. Even many of the FBs and AKCs have a very inconsistent quality (boxy scales, blade play, ill-fitting pieces, etc).

The dots actually are pretty random. Some old ones have the dot, some don't. I can't remember if I've seen new ones with dots but I'd be surprised if there weren't some.

I think I have an 11" that is just like yours. Let me know if you might be interested and I will try to find it.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

This is my 8” .. from what I’ve learned here I believe this is a short blade made for the German market (?)

Great first knife you found !

Mike
Attachments
1EA7691F-20F7-4367-ADBE-4AC262AB724D.jpeg
1EA7691F-20F7-4367-ADBE-4AC262AB724D.jpeg (97.42 KiB) Viewed 2867 times