Black acrylic 11" Frank B acquisitions

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
arlen

Black acrylic 11" Frank B acquisitions

Post by arlen »

I was leery of purchasing another switchblade from knifeshop.com, but they offer a 28cm Frank Beltrame bayonet blade black acrylic handle. My first purchase from them did not set well with me, but I figured "What the hell, it's only money."
So I pulled the trigger and ordered the knife.
Two days after I ordered the knife, I received an email notice that Grindworx now has the 11" FB bayonet blade black acrylic available. So I figured "What the hell, I will never receive exactly what I ordered from knifeshop.com." So I jumped on this knife from Grindworx like a chicken on a June bug.

Both knives arrived and I am now the proud owner of two beautiful 11" Frank B bayonet blade, black acrylic handled knives. These two have no flaws that I can see and they have strong actions.

Life is good.
Regards,
arlen
JulesVane

Re: Black acrylic 11" Frank B acquisitions

Post by JulesVane »

Sounds great Arlen! Certainly a very classic combination. I have not found many in black acrylic and, instead, gone for the easier to obtain Ebony Wood.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Nice! Glad you got two nice ones!! It is a hard to find color in acrylic !
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

good for you Arlen,can you post a pix,thanx.,and you are right,it is only money.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

sure would love to see that pair...
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

It took me a few years to find a true black acrylic Frank B that wasn't a "switch" model, but when I saw Rick selling one on Sharperdeals, I had to pounce. Probably overpaid for it, but based on the scarcity of black acrylic and how fast it sells out at places like bladeplay, price deviations between this model and other colors of acrylic is all speculative...

At the end of the day, it's just another acrylic swivel bolster probably made after 2010, but for me it was an obligatory addition to my collection after seeing so many black acrylics in the movies.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I agree Luke and Arlen. Classic/Black Stiletto never seems to go out of style. Like we all agree, the black acrylic hasn't been so easy to find like one would think. Out of these 3 Frank B 11", only the dagger is acrylic while the kris and bayo are Ebony Wood...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
arlen

Post by arlen »

Here are a few pictures of my new 28cm Frank B bayonet black acrylic switchblades.

I have a technical question: Why is one lockplate release a separate piece from the main spring on one knife and the other knife has part of the lockplate release as intregal with the main spring? (I do not know the precise term for the lockplate component. Please educate me.)

Lockplate release a separate piece from the main spring

Lockplate release as intregal with the main spring

Last edited by arlen on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Regards,
arlen
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Very nice!
2024 candidate for president
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Really nice Arlen, congrats on those finds! I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to on the backspring and locktab. I see no separation on either knife...?

arlen

Post by arlen »

The next to the last picture shows the main spring and the lockplate. The separation is evident on both sides of the spring.
The bottom picture shows the main spring and the lockplate. The separation is evident on one right side of the spring and only half-way down on the left side of the spring. It appears to be one piece upon close examination. Welded?
Regards,
arlen
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Ahhh, okay. Those thin grooves running down both sides of the hole/pin? Gee, I was always under the impression they were just decorative and served no purpose lol. I've got quite a few like that.

portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

I think these three are acrylic but it's harder to tell than I would have thought. Is there "acrylic" and just plain plastic? these are just 9" ers
Attachments
ta1.jpg
ta1.jpg (38.5 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
tb.jpg
tb.jpg (34.16 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
tc.jpg
tc.jpg (29.96 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Looks acrylic to me, but they don't look like typical Frank B's ... nickel silver and damascus! Year? Stamps? Tell us about them!
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Arlen I think the answer to your question is the Last picture was correctly hammered when the blade pin was set, and the one above it was hammered in a way that slightly deformed the back top bolster which caused it to slightly cover the brass liner more so then the one above. I see no signs of soldering or welding on it.