Dating The D-Stamped Liner

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

Dating The D-Stamped Liner

Post by JulesVane »

Hi guys. I've had this piece since before I had even heard, read or probably cared about the D-Stamped Liner. I measure it at 17.5" (45cm?). It's a swivel bolster. Brass full lined bolsters, button and safety. Swedge grind blade. A brown colored wood scales. Simply stamped ROSTFREI in script on the front tang. Doing a bit of collection cleaning today, I took a closer look and noticed it has the D-Stamped Liner. So, I'm just wondering the possible time period of production with the fading use of the D-Stamp and the introduction of the swivel bolster, and even the size. Certainly post 1958 for the swivel bolster, but not sure about the liner. Thanks for the lesson in advance....

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JulesVane

Re: Dating The D-Stamped Liner

Post by JulesVane »

Well...I've read the Brass hardware rule it out as a transitional piece. Still digging for info...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Don't know what happened to my reply...
It's a Falcon/Campolin 18. They are still made that way. It's not old. Maybe 1990s.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

A lot of time people refer to those big Italians as transitionals because they happen to have all the characteristics of a trans but they don't come from the actual transitional time period. The reason they have D-stamp rockers is just because they were too big for the modern button pieces. I guess they didn't bother having bigger modern buttons made because there aren't enough of the 15s + 18"s to make it worth it. Or maybe there is a limit to how big those modern buttons can be without there being a risk of the button piece breaking.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks Bill and Jeremy! Mystery solved! I appreciate your replies.

Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Agreed with Bill and Jeremy. All the 15" and 18" are made this way. They still hold some of the old time quality traits.....
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Tom19176 wrote:Agreed with Bill and Jeremy. All the 15" and 18" are made this way. They still hold some of the old time quality traits.....
Thanks Tom. After reading the kind replies, I went to check my obviously modern A.G.A. Campolin 15" model, and sure enough, also D-Stamped liner. I'm even surprised at myself for not noticing before, but good to learn.