Black Beauty on ebay

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
portlandmike

Black Beauty on ebay

Post by portlandmike »

Hello all, I'm new here and thought I should try a post with pictures and see how it all works...

I was wondering if you had any idea on how much the spring repair would run on this ebay Black Beauty and what the knife would be worth after the repair? .. I have learned a ton from all of you already and would like to say thank you for sharing your knowledge ... Mike
Attachments
bb2.PNG
bb2.PNG (818.47 KiB) Viewed 2511 times
bb1.PNG
bb1.PNG (698.09 KiB) Viewed 2511 times
portlandmike

Re: Black Beauty on ebay

Post by portlandmike »

I should add that I wasn't even close to being the high bidder on this auction.... Mike
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

My fee is $70 to replace a spring.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Thank you Bill... what do you think that knife would have sold for if it hadn't been broken ?

Mike
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I have no idea.The standard 8" BBs bring stupid money. This one is a 9" non-catalog item.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

very few of them actually had the "black beauty" stamp ... I imagine any appreciable money to be had with this knife is in the stamp itself, rather than the functionality (or lack thereof)

This is all assuming it's "real" of course... eBay is full of scammers and idiots. there's a Frank Beltrame 13 inch swivel bolster from the 90's being advertised as a 50's knife and some poor sap actually bid $1,000 on it. I'm kinda hoping it's a shill.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The Black Beauty is real.
lance

Post by lance »

Where did ya find this one mike?,.ya end up sellig it on ebay?
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

lance...it wasn't my knife, I just spotted it on eBay. I put down a bid in the $200 range...

Mike
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

I did end up emailing the seller and asking him for a closeup of the tang stamp. He was a very cool guy and didn't mind sending me the picture even though the auction had ended and I was far, far from being the winning bidder. He said he had done some research and thought the knife would go in the $400 - $500 range. He was ecstatic about the amount it went for. He said it was a $5 estate sale find... (insert sound of grinding teeth)

Mike